Can Dexron III mix with ATF-DW1

I'm planning on doing a transmission drain and fill on my mom's 2004 Honda Element here soon. I know a drain and fill takes 3 quarts and I currently have one quart of ATF-DW1 and two quarts of Dexron III on hand.

I know that you can use DW1 or Dexron III in a Honda AT but my question is can the two be mixed? Since that's what I currently have on hand.

When I had my 07 CR-V I drained the transmission and filled it with only Dexron III and it worked perfectly fine.

Just curious.

You'd be better off picking up 2 more quarts of DW1 or one of the other aftermarket compatible fluids. Dex3 will probably cause overly harsh shifts. Honda only ever said that it is to be used temporarily.

From a 2003 Owners Manual (2004 should be the same.)

"If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid into the tube to bring it to the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (AutomaticTransmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission flushed and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as it is convenient."

Not saying it wouldn't work, as you've had it in your 2007, but with all the other alternate fluids out there, I'd choose one of those. Valvoline Maxlife or one of the other 'recommended for'.

I know that you can use DW1 or Dexron III in a Honda AT but my question is can the two be mixed? Since that's what I currently have on hand.

Ha ha.

You can also use bacon fat in place of ATF for a while.

That's not what the specs say. I've also watched a lot of Honda AT's blow up "just because." So have fun with that.

To keep that Honda AT running correctly, you need to use the right fluid, sacrifice a goat under the car while on jacks. Then draw blood from a first born. Just sayin'.

Not the best idea to mix both. DexIII can be used however, if you're using a High Friction Modifier(HFM) such as LubeGard's HFM which converts DexIII into many vehicle specific ATFs. But, you have to see if LG is a suitable mix for Honda's DW1.

I've personally used LubeGard HFM in conjunction with DexronIII/Mercon in a Toyota/Lexus tranny that required T-IV with good success.

Ha ha.

You can also use bacon fat in place of ATF for a while.

That's not what the specs say. I've also watched a lot of Honda AT's blow up "just because." So have fun with that.

To keep that Honda AT running correctly, you need to use the right fluid, sacrifice a goat under the car while on jacks. Then draw blood from a first born. Just sayin'.
YUP.....

I agree with...don't chance it. Get the Honda DW1 and use the DEXIII for something else or sell it/whatever, even though I've had no problems using DexIII w/LG HFM in a Lexus requiring T-IV.

Yes you can mix them. They wont react or anything. I have been running dex 3, dex 6, amsoil, dw-1, and type f in my accord and they all worked fine. I have had it on type f for a long time now. Its currently at 240k. Always proceed at your own risk.

Back