Can an SSD make this much difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can use an "M.2, NVMe" (stick of gum hard drive mentioned above) such as the Samsung 970 plus, DO SO.

In real world terms, they are 6-10 times faster than the already fast SATA hard drives.

Absolutely no wait to boot up. It's just on.

The pic below shows the size. However, that's a 960, which is the slow version. The 970 flat out ROCKS.

[Linked Image from groovypost.com]

Last edited:
Depends. Some motherboards disable the SATA port when the M.2 port is used. You'll have to do some research on your particular model.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Is there a big gain with Solid State Stick vs SSD?

In 99% of uses no; only in very certain tasks and benchmarks. I'd just keep a normal 2.5" SATA SSD and I don't recall the HP 8440p having a M.2 slot either.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Is there a big gain with M.2 Solid State Stick vs SSD?

Depends entirely on the system its used in. M.2 is just the form factor of the socket and the 'drive'. There are different communication protocols that the socket and drive have to meet to get all the speed it's capable of. M.2 SATA is essentially the same speed as a 2.5" SATA drive. NVMe is a completely different story though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

I upgraded my 6 year old Asus laptop to a SanDisk SSD a couple weeks ago and it made a huge difference in performance. Would totally recommend it to anyone considering it.

No offense OP but both of those laptops need put out to pasture... especially #1. If you think that boots fast, you should see current stuff with NVME SSD's. #2 can be made half decent with a cheap SSD upgrade but a 1st gen Core series with 4GB of RAM is dog slow by today's standards.

Also, both of those laptops are running on an old SATA 1.5 bus which won't take full advantage of a 2.5" SSD drive. Not even half. Not to mention a new laptop will last 4 times as long off the battery and put out 75% less heat. Lot's of incentive here to get something newer.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
No offense OP but both of those laptops need put out to pasture... especially #1. If you think that boots fast, you should see current stuff with NVME SSD's. #2 can be made half decent with a cheap SSD upgrade but a 1st gen Core series with 4GB of RAM is dog slow by today's standards.

Also, both of those laptops are running on an old SATA 1.5 bus which won't take full advantage of a 2.5" SSD drive. Not even half. Not to mention a new laptop will last 4 times as long off the battery and put out 75% less heat. Lot's of incentive here to get something newer.

Would it make sense to put an SSD into my Latitude E6410? It has an i7 M620 at 2.67GHz with a 250GB 7200rpm HD and 4GB of RAM; it appears to be a 10 year old computer. I think I am using about 50GB of space on the HD. I'd think a 128GB SSD and maybe an upgrade to 8GB of RAM (assuming it'd fit) might be a nice upgrade.

It's been running ok lately, although at times it's been real doggy and it didn't care for the Win10 update initially. Starting things up it definitely has lag compared to my work laptop let alone my iPad. I don't have install disks (bought used) so I don't know how I'd move Windows over, but it was bought with Win7 so I think I can get the license number and it can download for a fresh install???

The hinges are loose, the track pad sorta dead, the battery has but a few minutes of life and it doesn't have bluetooth nor HDMI output. I surf the web and do lightweight stuff with it. I wouldn't mind a better monitor although it works well enough over VGA to a 1920x1080 display. It's not worth $500 to me to get a new computer let alone a kilobuck on a "good" laptop--but I don't care for buying low end stuff and having it die quickly either.

Originally Posted by supton

Would it make sense to put an SSD into my Latitude E6410? It has an i7 M620 at 2.67GHz with a 250GB 7200rpm HD and 4GB of RAM; it appears to be a 10 year old computer. I think I am using about 50GB of space on the HD. I'd think a 128GB SSD and maybe an upgrade to 8GB of RAM (assuming it'd fit) might be a nice upgrade.

It's been running ok lately, although at times it's been real doggy and it didn't care for the Win10 update initially. Starting things up it definitely has lag compared to my work laptop let alone my iPad. I don't have install disks (bought used) so I don't know how I'd move Windows over, but it was bought with Win7 so I think I can get the license number and it can download for a fresh install???

The hinges are loose, the track pad sorta dead, the battery has but a few minutes of life and it doesn't have bluetooth nor HDMI output. I surf the web and do lightweight stuff with it. I wouldn't mind a better monitor although it works well enough over VGA to a 1920x1080 display. It's not worth $500 to me to get a new computer let alone a kilobuck on a "good" laptop--but I don't care for buying low end stuff and having it die quickly either.

Given your description, I wouldn't spend a penny on that thing. If you want something half decent, check craigslist or FB marketplace for a used Thinkpad, HP Probook/Elitebook, or Dell laptop (not Inspiron). Right now I have an HP Probook on craigslist for $200 in perfect condition with an i5, 8GB RAM, and 500GB SSD. I can't sell the dang thing because people buy cheap walmart laptops for $200 instead.

Last edited:
Given your description, I wouldn't spend a penny on that thing. If you want something half decent, check craigslist or FB marketplace for a used Thinkpad, HP Probook/Elitebook, or Dell laptop (not Inspiron). Right now I have an HP Probook on craigslist for $200 in perfect condition with an i5, 8GB RAM, and 500GB SSD. I can't sell the dang thing because people buy cheap walmart laptops for $200 instead.

Thanks, wasn't sure, I don't follow computers anymore. It felt too old to update, but it costs a lot of money to buy "good," but buying used can be a crapshoot so
21.gif

I'm sold on buying used Thinkpads or other high end laptops from 6-7 years ago and upgrading them if needed. I got a 2013 Thinkpad t530 which already had a 180gb SSD (I upgraded it to 500gb since I was running out of storage) and an i7 and 8gb of ram. I could upgrade to a newer quad core i7 but it runs nice and fast as it is with the old dual core. It also has the big 9? Cell battery which will run for 6+ hours.

I put an SSD and Linux mint on my 2010 Lenovo g550 with a Pentium dual core t4400 and 4gb of ram. It runs okay now but not as good as the Thinkpad. It may need new thermal paste though as it's been running very hot and used to always be cool. Or I need to clean it out again.

Yes, you are removing the last mechanical part in your computer that has an average 14-20ms latency with an all electronic unit that has 0.02-0.03ms latency. Yes that is a huge improvement and why people no longer need to worry about having enough RAM (because when you run out of RAM you start swapping stuff out of RAM and into HDD) as before, or need to cache these slow HDD with expensive RAM.

Going from the cheapest and slowest SSD to the fastest won't be as noticeable as going from the fastest HDD to the slowest SSD. The faster SSD makes a difference for heavy duty work like rendering or video editing, game loading, server, etc, but not for web browsing or office apps.

I'm starting to use my old 10 year old laptop again after I replace the HDD with a 3 year old SSD, it is good enough that I don't feel the urge to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back