Ebay score: $30 HP EliteBook 8560p

I recently found myself in need of a new DD laptop, as the cooling fan in my ancient EliteBook 8730w kicked the bucket. I came across this gem on listed on eBay with 3 pictures being sold "AS-IS, UNTESTED". They were asking $34.99 or best offer so I offered $30. 2 days later, she showed up at my door.

The unit arrived extremely well packed, and initially looked almost new. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro and updated a few drivers, culminating in this discovery:

image_2023-07-28_161750371.png

Of all the luck! This thing is as maxed out as you could order an 8560p, from the Core i7 to the 500 gig 7,200 RPM HDD to the 1600x900 screen with Radeon graphics. On top of that, it's been upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM.

To say I'm thrilled is an understatement. I do plan on installing an SSD, since I need to stop at Microcenter soon anyway, but otherwise the hardware is 100%. Even the battery holds a decent charge! For my usage, this machine will probably last me another decade.

As an aside: I stole the 4 gigs of RAM out of my now-retired 8730w and threw it in my girlfriends old Aspire 5100 I just got up and running for her to use as a basic "couch surfer".

It's alway nice to get a great find. Most people including myself do not have the expertise to take on such a purchase due to lack of knowledge of the product. I feel lucky if I can get a brand new wireless printer/copier working properly hahaha.

The longevity (and reliability) of i3/i5/i7's is astounding, great job man!!

I recently found myself in need of a new DD laptop, as the cooling fan in my ancient EliteBook 8730w kicked the bucket. I came across this gem on listed on eBay with 3 pictures being sold "AS-IS, UNTESTED". They were asking $34.99 or best offer so I offered $30. 2 days later, she showed up at my door.

The unit arrived extremely well packed, and initially looked almost new. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro and updated a few drivers, culminating in this discovery:

View attachment 169318

Of all the luck! This thing is as maxed out as you could order an 8560p, from the Core i7 to the 500 gig 7,200 RPM HDD to the 1600x900 screen with Radeon graphics. On top of that, it's been upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM.

To say I'm thrilled is an understatement. I do plan on installing an SSD, since I need to stop at Microcenter soon anyway, but otherwise the hardware is 100%. Even the battery holds a decent charge! For my usage, this machine will probably last me another decade.

As an aside: I stole the 4 gigs of RAM out of my now-retired 8730w and threw it in my girlfriends old Aspire 5100 I just got up and running for her to use as a basic "couch surfer".
Now just don't accidentally trip over a dog toy in the hallway and drop that new prized possession, breaking what's now become a rattle-box, in numerous pieces.

Wait..... Nevermind! I'm the only BITOG member that's jinxed like that....

Back