Can-Am Roadster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: cbear
Good for the aging, novice, or disabled rider. I've heard the mileage on the Spyders is in the low 30s, which isn't good for a bike.

True, but I doubt anyone will buy a $20K toy with an intent to save money on gas.
smile.gif

Agree. My current street bike is only getting upper 30's and I'm not even riding it hard. I'm indifferent about it.

Yup. My bike gets about 50 MPG, but I'd still ride it just as much, even if I only got 30 MPG out of it.
smile.gif

These things aren't a necessity. They are for pleasure.

My thought on that would be that if you like it, buy it. Be aware that the market for resale is really small. That might mean it would be hard to sell if you ever want to.

On the other hand, this machine's rarity might make it likely to be snatched up quickly on the used market. I guess this would be my concern in buying this machine.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
...sick of the H-D bashers....

I am too. The pendulum has swung too far the other way. It started out with HD owners bashing everything that wasn't an HD. So they were fairly deserving based on their own behavior, not to mention the irony of the disparity in technology.

Now HD riders/defenders have become pariahs, when really they're just motorcyclists that like a different kind of machine. Nothing wrong with that in a free country. It's weird how much bashing goes on when it comes to motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
The Can-Am engine is not the easiest to service for even basic maintenance. Just changing the oil and filter involves removing lots of tupperware. Their maintenance schedule is even more elaborate than BMW's.

They should talk to Ducati owners for PITA maintenance.
lol.gif

"you're taking the engine out of the bike?"
"yeah, I have to adjust the valves."
"you have to take the engine out to adjust the valves?"
"No, that's just the easiest way to do it." Actual conversation with an 851 owner

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

I am too. The pendulum has swung too far the other way. It started out with HD owners bashing everything that wasn't an HD. So they were fairly deserving based on their own behavior, not to mention the irony of the disparity in technology.

Now HD riders/defenders have become pariahs, when really they're just motorcyclists that like a different kind of machine. Nothing wrong with that in a free country. It's weird how much bashing goes on when it comes to motorcycles.

The Harley riders/defenders are an odd bunch anyway. I think a lot of them like the image of having a Harley Davidson more than the actual ride.

They will bag on my friend's Buell 1125R, then change their tone when they realize it's a Buell, then start bashing it again when they find out it has a Rotax motor.
They gotta' look close to make sure a Victory is a Victory, lest they accidently like a metric.

I am happy to see people riding things other than cars on the road - 2 wheels, 3, whatever. More options in the marketplace =
thumbsup2.gif

And the Harley "bashing" earlier in this thread (if you can even call it that) was in direct response to the comment that the "Harley Davidson crowd laughs at them". That warrants a bash in my opinion.

jeff

There is a segment of our population who aspire to ride motorcycles yet won't because their dangerous. This looks safer and is probably well positioned to draw those folks in.

The Harley crowd does laugh at them.
So does the "cruiser" crowd, in general.
The sport bike guys are laughing, hysterically.

That's how it is in this part of the country. Your area might be different.

The Can-Am Spyder is a wonderful addition to the three-wheeled motorcycle market. In the past, one had a selection that included the really HUGE Gold Wing trike and any number of aftermarket trikes which were assembled by any number of sometimes questionable enterprises. The Spyder is one of the few that was designed as a three-wheeler from the bottom up, and it shows

It's nice to be able to purchase a factory trike and get a warranty on the entire bike.

They're not for everyone. Nor are motorcycles, for that matter.

Harley haters? Yes, we have them here on this forum. I'm not one of them.

Some folks just can't help themselves.

It's got a motor, a gas pedal, tires, and it's fast. What could be not to like?

Everybody bashes something. Some people bash everything. Haters are everywhere. They don't go away if you ignore them, and how do you argue with someone that doesn't use their brain?

...he says after he bashes metric bikes...
33.gif

Nothing says I am a financially embarassed real motorcyclist like riding a small,cheap Japanese cruiser......LOL

Sounds like bashing to me...

I like to lean into a curve. Even on this video you can see that the 3 wheeler has problems with turning,curves, etc. They will need to find a way to have the basic structure lean left and right as needed.

I've never seen a Stallion trike before. Then around by me you don't see alot of trike's either. It seems Harley was betting on the riding population getting older and would gravitate towards owning a trike when the bike gets to be too much.The companies like Lehman do alot of conversions, but at the price of a conversion it makes people re think whether they want to spend the $$$. It seems to me that can-am bikes are a Johnny come lately in the trike world and I predict they will give it up in a short while when new bike sales remain flat. Like Indian, they came into the market with high priced toys at the wrong time.,,

Originally Posted By: grampi
Nothing says I am a financially embarassed real motorcyclist like riding a small,cheap Japanese cruiser......LOL

I dunno. "small, cheap" aka 500cc or maybe a 250cc?

I'm also one of those that have a little bit of everything in makes of bikes. Everytime I see a guy on a little bike, I just figure he can't afford a bigger one. Same as when I see a guy in a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 and I sorta wish I had one of those - but I certainly can't afford it, not to mention the fuel and maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe

I'm guessing he was referring to my 500cc Vulcan.

Quote:

Everytime I see a guy on a little bike, I just figure he can't afford a bigger one.

I can certainly afford a bigger bike. I just don't feel confident on a big heavy bike.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm guessing he was referring to my 500cc Vulcan.

Quote:

Everytime I see a guy on a little bike, I just figure he can't afford a bigger one.

I can certainly afford a bigger bike. I just don't feel confident on a big heavy bike.

OK, everybody but you, Pete.
27.gif

crackmeup2.gif

As a side note - many of my friends have "graduated" to touring bikes. We've had a couple of those. a Gold Wing and a Road King. After 40 years of riding and more than 50 bikes I think I finally figured out the size of bike that I like. Well, maybe. My two favorites are a VStar1300 and my Street Bob. And who says that you can't tour on a regular old motorcycle without saddlebags or pulling a trailer??? BTW that Yamaha is deceptively light. Some sort of aluminum alloy frame and it's light and nimble.
164.jpg
001.jpg

Last edited:

Figure = assume. Assume nothing. There's ALL KINDS of reasons why people ride smaller bikes. They may have bought it to suit themselves instead of worrying about what others think of it. Bigger isn't better to some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back