Can a plug/patched be replaced?

About a year ago, the tire was “professionally repaired” using a plug/patch. Now, the tire appears to be leaking several psi every week from the repaired area.

Can the plug/patch be “re-done” or will the tire need to be scrapped?

About a year ago, the tire was “professionally repaired” using a plug/patch. Now, the tire appears to be leaking several psi every week from the repaired area.

Can the plug/patch be “re-done” or will the tire need to be scrapped?
I guess it depends. Rare for a proper repair to leak.

I suppose you could stitch a large patch right over the plug.

I have never heard of one leaking. Could it have gotten another puncture in the same area?

I guess it depends. Rare for a proper repair to leak.

I suppose you could stitch a large patch right over the plug.
I do not remember where this particular one was done, but I have seen a number of them lose a bit more air (than an unrepaired tire) over the course of an OCI. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but all of them were done by DT/America’s Tire.

Discount Tire is like the GM/oil usage debacle of the tire industry. They'll tell you that leaking several psi per week is normal because it's hot! Or cold... or whatever the temperature is where you are.

Only way to find out is put the tire in a tub of water, dismount, and see if it is the same spot.

Only way to find out is put the tire in a tub of water, dismount, and see if it is the same spot.
At that point it is too late. Once the tire has been dismounted, no one will want to remount a leaking tire.

(The owner would rather keep adding air than to scrap the tire now. The tire has 5/32 - 6/32 remaining.)

At that point it is too late. Once the tire has been dismounted, no one will want to remount a leaking tire.

(The owner would rather keep adding air than to scrap the tire now. The tire has 5/32 - 6/32 remaining.)
We need to diagnose where it is leaking from since you do not know if the leak is coming from the previous repair.

If a tire shop cannot find the leak, they will need to submerge in a tub of water.

To properly fix the tire, they would need to dismount and inspect inside of the tire is repairable or not.

When you jam the mushroom patch through, you have to rough up the inside, wash it with Varsol, peel the plastic off the patch, send it, then use these cowboy-boot-spur things to jam the rubber together. Finally my tire shop painted the whole mess with vulcanizing bead sealer, though IDK if that's a legitimate step.

If your "owner" doesn't have TPMS, they should put fix a flat in, it has actually worked for me. But here's the secret:

Jack the tire off the ground and let all its air out, so the can isn't fighting tire pressure.

Put the contents of the can in the tire.

Put 50-55 PSI in the tire. It will help force the fix a flat through the "pores" that are leaking.

Go for a spirited drive to slosh everything around. Transitions above and below 45 MPH are helpful as that is when centrifugal force will make the fix-a-flat stick to the outside, or not.

Give the tire as much time at the elevated inflation as you can before you bring it down for normal operation.

B4EE9527-E1F2-4398-8EB0-FD302D5A95BA.jpeg
18997888-58DD-4BB9-BB23-4633BE072581.jpeg

With another set of eyes, the culprit was located. It was a very small nail that was probably 90% thru. WM TLE repaired the tire for $15.

I appreciate all of the info and will keep it on hand for further use.

Back