Can a fuel additive clean piston rings?

Question: Will a fuel system cleaner, with PEA, have a meaningful impact on reducing the clogging up and sticking of oil control piston rings?
I have a 2011 GM 2.4 Ecotec with 142k miles in an Equinox that is known to be prone to excessive blow by, none yet, due to sticking rings. I want to be proactive to prevent mine from doing this but I've been thinking in terms of oil brand, oil additives, engine flushes etc. not a fuel treatment.

I have used Gumout All in One and a product from Redline with PEA occasionally, maybe once a year, but for the injector cleaning properties.
I've never exceeded the oil life monitor for changes, I think it's set to 5-7k miles but IDK and used mostly full synthetic oil, except when the dealer changed it. There's dozens of YT videos of this engine developing blow-by due to stuck rings and plugged PCV system. I've decided to ignore the OLM from now on and go with a 3,000 mile change but I'm thinking I should maybe start using something like Rislone oil treatment to help keep things clean. Maybe a fuel system treatment regularly if that would help. I try to use top-tier gasoline most of the time.

I bought one of those bore scopes so I can take a look inside the engine but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I also changed to a vented oil fill cap with a check valve and added an oil catch can. I don't think the catch can is serving any purpose yet because so far my PCV system is working properly.

I really can't afford to replace this car or pay for a major repair if I can avoid it.

Thoughts?

The only one I know of and I know others will chime in with other products is Auto Rx Plus. I run it in my Volvo every 60K miles to clean up the interior of the motor and de-carbon the piston rings. Some have opinions on Auto-Rx here on this board but when something works and does as it says I'll keep using it. It is an oil additive that you use when you change the oil. Add to the new oil and drive for around 4,000 miles and change the oil and run another 4,000 miles as a rinse phase.

It's highly unlikely that any cleaning around the rings will occur from fuel additives.

For the rings, you'll want an oil supplement like High Performance Lubricants SAE 30 Engine Cleaner.
I received 2 quarts of it the other day. I think I'll use it in my next two oil changes and see how it does.

Most can't handle popping their hood or using a tire PSI gauge... and some want them to handle DMSO, or follow a flush procedure, or piston soak procedure...... many won't even follow simple advice of exercising the dipstick more often or adapting their OCI, grade or type, to the automakers horrible R&D.

We knew long ago. Purposely don't care for the masses to use or even know about DMSO. They are better off with 5-minute solvent flushes and shorter oil change intervals.

"DIY Dave" has an old Corolla which burns ~1QT every week, 300 miles. No leak, no smoke, the oil just disappears. He's been posting videos on everything he's tried over the last year, using suggestions etc.

Most recent video #14, he did a Barryman B-12 Chemtool piston soak. Pour it in, rotate crank 5 full rotations, wait 6 hours, repeat 5-6 times. He scoped the bores to show all the cylinders were empty. Topped off crankcase with fresh oil. Then 20 minute drive at high RPM. Change oil+filter. The result? So far after 300 miles the oil level is barely below top dot.

Last edited:
I used Auto-Rx Plus in the past. Need a new supply
Still use it. I run it roughly every 60K miles in my 97 Volvo 960 2.9L I6. The car will start to lose oil around 50K miles with once a year or 10K mile oil changes. It cleans up the rings and the oil loss goes to zero for a couple more years. BTW the car has 138K miles on it presently and used exclusively on the highway.

My Saturn has the ring problem too..

Mobil 1 ESP in 5W-30, has dispersants to clean the carbon out…

Also comes in 0W-30…

Back