Can a 100 PSI/1 Stage compresor pump run air tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace just the pump on my air compressor. (Ingersoll Rand, 5 HP, 60 gallon tank).

I found a real nice Quincy single stage twin cylinder pump but it's only rated 100 PSI max.

That means that I would probably have to adjust my pressure switch for a cut in of around 80 PSI and cut off of 100 PSI.

I'm "guesstimating" line loss of around 10 PSI. That means air tools designed for 90 PSI will be seeing around 70-90 and maybe even lower. I'm also concerned about short cycling of the pump with only a 20 PSI spread in cut in and cut out.

Is this feasable?

P.S. I know HF sells 2 stage Chinese pumps but there's no comparison with these legendary Quincy pumps.

Last edited:
It all depends on the CFM output of the pump, as well as the air tools you want to run.

Tools like impact wrenches don't take many CFM's because typically their duty cycle is really short. If we're talking about air sanders, chisels or things like HVLP paint guns, you need way more CFM.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. FWIW, I run a Campbell Hausfield "Commercial" (about 12 y.o.) single stage 5.5 HP 125 PSI compressor. I think it makes either 5.5 or 7.5 CFM at 125 PSI and it's good for a decent run with an air orbital sander, but after a few minutes of sanding you have to stop sanding and wait for the compressor to catch up again. Most other tools never challenge the compressor. Based on CFM demands identified by most HVLP spray guns, my compressor doesn't make nearly enough CFM.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
How many GPM does the Quincy put out?

It's rated at 10 CFM at 100 PSI. I'm more concerned about the pressure at the tool then the CFM.

Have you taken your old pump apart to see what is wrong? My 5hp Craftsman by DeVilbiss compressor went out. All that happened was that the reed valves rusted out. About $20 and it was all fixed.

I wouldnt be terribly concerned. I would however try to add a few smaller storage tanks in series, which will provide more buffer. This will extend time at pressure and let the compressor not need to cycle as much, yet run longer when it does cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back