Camry Broke Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love hearing about these old Camry's and Accords still going strong!

Had a 1999 Accord, bought it new...kept it till it was 17 years old with 289,000 miles on it (wish I kept it till 300,000), but it ended up sitting in my driveway too much (upgraded to a Lexus LS460) and it was tough to jump in the Accord after driving the new Lexus everyday. But I do miss that car! Some guy actually both it with all those miles on it...think I got $1,200 bucks for it. I think I was able to save myself something like $50,000 by keeping that car so long...Super reliable, hardly any out of pocket repairs...no car payments for over ten years...low insurance, almost nothing to register it every year. I miss those days, especially when I get my $700 dollar registration bill in the mail now and monthly car payment.

Just replaced the original timing belt on my daughter's 1995 Geo Prizm/Corolla at 223,000 miles. Also replaced the original water pump that wasn't leaking, wobbling or making any noise. The rear struts are original, quiet and still ride well. The a/c has NEVER been apart. I replaced the front struts two years ago with today's aftermarket junk. They're already starting to rattle. Toyota really made great cheap boring cars in the mid 90s.

I've replace the starter twice-$45 x 2. The master cylinder twice-$50 x 2. The a/c blower fan-$37, the radiator fan-$60 & the condenser fan $40. The ignition lock cylinder-$27. All the door handles break. The outside one's are $10 apiece on eBay. The insides are $6 apiece. I'm with Scotty Kilmer on this one.

Last edited:
So should I replace the timing belt on the GF's 2000 Camry that still has it's original timing belt? Has around 158K miles and the original timing belt and water pump. Has the 4 cylinder engine. Or wait until the belt brakes?

I was gonna wait till the belt broke. But the front crankshaft seal was leaking. So I did the belt and water pump. The belt looked haggard. It was time.

If a zombie apocalypse happens, it will be camrys that rule the road. Not those big [censored] mad-max trucks.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
So should I replace the timing belt on the GF's 2000 Camry that still has it's original timing belt? Has around 158K miles and the original timing belt and water pump. Has the 4 cylinder engine. Or wait until the belt brakes?

Depends. Does it ever go on trips out of town? Does she need to be somewhere that it would matter if she was late? I ask because some people have jobs that it isn't that big of a deal if you're late because your car broke down. But some need to be on time, and missing half a day is a big deal.

It's all a gamble. The cost of half a days missed work, a tow truck, an Uber to get you to the mechanic to pick up the car maybe, etc.

Probably a good idea to just replace it. They aren't hard to do, I did it myself on my 97 Camry, but it's too hot out and I didn't feel like it this time.

Good to hear. Heh, mine is still going good, but it's a young-un at only 211k. I let my mother borrow it for a month, and she was really shocked at how nice it was. Thanks ma, I usually drive heaps... The only thing broken on mine is the rear defroster, and that was self-inflicted (removed rear tint too aggressively). The Monroe shocks are starting to clunk and creak. but whatever. Radiator, alternator, and PO did starter. It's a hard life...

Not looking forward to doing timing belt again but it should be all the easier the second time around.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Timing belts are evil.

Hopefully will never have to deal with one again.

Timing Belt.JPG

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
[Linked Image]

Unless it aged out, I would expect a better than a 6% margin outside the recommended mileage interval for a timing belt to fail.

Timing belts are evil.

However if this post were about a timing chain the car would be instant junk.

That range of years ('97 - 2001?) for the Camry (for the four cylinder, at least - and I don't know if the V6, by comparison, has a timing belt) - is a non-interference engine. If the timing belt breaks the engine should simply spin-down with impunity, i.e. no valve / piston contact (presuming there is no carbon buildup, etc).

I have 225,000 km (~140,000 miles) on my '99 Camry - and I think it is the original belt.

Apparently, the drill is to view the o-ring for the oil pump, see if it is leaking, check for camshaft and crankshaft seal leakage, and pre-emptively change the water pump while you're in there. Rock Auto (among others) has an Aisin water pump based kit available, comprising timing belt, possibly idler (?), oil pump o ring, and water pump.

They say that the timing belt change is not a big issue, but I do know that if the camshaft sprocket has to come off due to a leak, there is much "joy" in loosening it. Big wrench on the hex flats of the intake (?) camshaft with a companion wrench on the fastener for the timing belt sprocket. Re the crankshaft nut, an electric or pneumatic "percussion" ratchet is needed... or some folks use the starter and a wrench... up against the concrete floor ????

Seal removal has to also be done with a modicum of care so as not to damage seal surfaces on the shaft(s) and same, the bore for the OD of the seal. Some use (several?) sheet metal screws into the rubber of the seal, and a cat's paw to lever out the seal.

Oh joy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Timing belts are evil.

If it were a timing chain, it wouldn't be an issue!

Timing belts are evil.

Impossible. It is Toyota. If this happened to ANY other car, it would be junk, timing chain or belt, it is irrelevant.
Timing chain or tensioner on Toyota: it happens
On any other car (especially European): junk.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Timing belts are evil.

Impossible. It is Toyota. If this happened to ANY other car, it would be junk, timing chain or belt, it is irrelevant.

You completely miss the point that it is a non-interference engine. And some high mileage on one Toyota, and 300K on another with almost zero problems. But keeping being what you are, edyvw, we expect nothing more.

Timing belts are evil.

Timing chains snap, stretch and fail too on occasion. They just cost significantly more to replace as not intended to be easily serviceable.

Timing belts are evil.

So you're hating on the fact that not enough people are hating on this guy's car make??
First world problem if I've ever heard of one...

Timing belts are evil.

Timing chains snap, stretch and fail too on occasion. They just cost significantly more to replace as not intended to be easily serviceable.

Not often. I drove a car with 585K on untouched original timing chains.

Timing belts are evil.

Not as likely to be an issue, but definitely not perfect.

My Jeep needed a timing chain at around 130k miles.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Timing belts are evil.

You completely miss the point that it is a non-interference engine. And some high mileage on one Toyota, and 300K on another with almost zero problems. But keeping being what you are, edyvw, we expect nothing more.

So, from my post you picked up I missed (not that I care) that engine is non-interference? You seriosuly need to relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back