Camry 2005 v4 switching back to 5w30 is possible!

Hi all,
I have a question regarding changing from one grade of oil to another.

I recently bought camry 2005 4 cylinder 2.4L running 177,000KM, i am the 3rd owner. Car running perfect and engine sounds perfect.

First owner from brand new till 100K was serving the car at Toyota probably using 5w30 engine oil.
2nd owner was using 10w40 fully synthetic oil (Castrol magnetic) for 7 years now (77K)

My plan is to use engine flush prior to next oil change and use 5w30 fully synthetic oil( Castrol edge)
From your experience Is there any harm or expected issues (such as increase oil burn or consumption) if i switched back to 5w30 as it is the recommended oil.

Cheers

Hi all,
I have a question regarding changing from one grade of oil to another.

I recently bought camry 2005 4 cylinder 2.4L running 177,000KM, i am the 3rd owner. Car running perfect and engine sounds perfect.

First owner from brand new till 100K was serving the car at Toyota probably using 5w30 engine oil.
2nd owner was using 10w40 fully synthetic oil (Castrol magnetic) for 7 years now (77K)

My plan is to use engine flush prior to next oil change and use 5w30 fully synthetic oil( Castrol edge)
From your experience Is there any harm or expected issues (such as increase oil burn or consumption) if i switched back to 5w30 as it is the recommended oil.

Cheers
The flush will clean junk off the rings, some increased blow by can result and increased oil consumption. I did something similar with Buick Century but I used Mobil 1 with cheap filter, changed filter only at 1500 and top off oil, do this a couple more times, the cheap filter is collecting junk, finally install quality filter of your choice and run for total of 7-8K miles

The flush will clean junk off the rings, some increased blow by can result and increased oil consumption. I did something similar with Buick Century but I used Mobil 1 with cheap filter, changed filter only at 1500 and top off oil, do this a couple more times, the cheap filter is collecting junk, finally install quality filter of your choice and run for total of 7-8K miles
Thanks for your explanation.
Does it make sense just to switch to 5w30 without a flush or flush is recommended.
Another option is to continue with the 10w40 or 5w40? What do you reckon?

Thanks for your explanation.
Does it make sense just to switch to 5w30 without a flush or flush is recommended.
Another option is to continue with the 10w40 or 5w40? What do you reckon
Then why flush? Leave it be and continue to change oil & filter on a regular basis with 5W30.
Any expected oil consumption or burning when switching back to 5w30 after almost 80k and 8 years?

I think OP thinks the 10w40 "loosened up" some tolerance and now 5w30 will burn off.

That isn't how it works, and he'll be fine.

Why flush? Is the engine dirty? I'd make the switch to a good synthetic 5W30 and keep an eye on the oil level, don't overthink it. If the engine needs cleaning get, a good cleaner, HPL's engine cleaner, MMO, Rislone come to mind and follow the directions. I'm not a fan of flushing an engine, the only thing I flush is the toilet. ;)

No. And as nearly everyone else has stated in this thread, unless you have a verified deposit issue then skip the flush. There is zero reason to "fix" something you have no idea even exists in the first place.

Switch to a fairly inexpensive oil in a 5w30 with an inexpensive filter run a shorter oci.. and check every couple of fill-ups if all good switch to a synthetic of choice and filter. I know my sisters 03 Corolla loved Castrol gtx 5w30.

Have you had the car long enough to know if it consumes any 10w40? If not, you won't really know if there is a change in oil use with 5w30.

Like others, I would recommend against the flush unless you know there's a problem a flush can solve.

Have you had the car long enough to know if it consumes any 10w40? If not, you won't really know if there is a change in oil use with 5w30.

Like others, I would recommend against the flush unless you know there's a problem a flush can solve.
Valid point, probably i gonna watch the existing oil level for couple of weeks to see if the vehicle consumes oil or not before i switch to amy other great.
Thanks mate

Why flush? Is the engine dirty? I'd make the switch to a good synthetic 5W30 and keep an eye on the oil level, don't overthink it. If the engine needs cleaning get, a good cleaner, HPL's engine cleaner, MMO, Rislone come to mind and follow the directions. I'm not a fan of flushing an engine, the only thing I flush is the toilet. ;)
Hahah, we all flush the toilets but some people don't:)

Back