Camry 2.2L 4cyl - Break-in oil, & is LE hassle worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome.gif

I'm no expert, but since you ask:
1. I'd go ahead & run the current oil for the 500 miles, then probably run some Havoline SM dino 5/10w30 for the next 1000 to 1500 miles. Then I'd run another dino OCI of 3000 miles or so. I chose Havoline because it's easily available here & has a healthy dose of soluble Moly, which can only help during breakin. Any good dino 5/10w30 should be fine though. For that matter, it's probably OK stick with the Syntec if you like. I'm just "old school" when it comes to engine breakin & synthetic oil.(probably a useless caution on my part
grin.gif
)

2. I'm not familiar with the LE Monalec, but I gave up searching for "magic" oils quite some time ago. You could probably run any good SM dino for a 5000 mile minimum after breakin. If you want to run OCI's of 15,000 miles, maybe try Mobil 1 EP?
dunno.gif
I would recommend that you work into it slowly; say, one run of 5000-8000 miles, then a run of 10000-12000 miles, and only after seeing no problems with those on oil analysis, then go for the 15,000 miles.

All the above is JMO. Good luck with your Camry on whatever you choose!

quote:

Originally posted by ncdirtrider:
I'm told that synthetic may not have been the best choice for him to use for a break in due to how thin it is - true?

I would say that the oil formulation is more important than the thickness, within reason of course. Let's hope your mechanic is heeding the advice of the engine remanufacturer. You might find out who remanufactured the engine and give them a call to double check. Trust, but verify, is what I always say.

427Z06, The documentation that came with the reman engine just said to follow the guidelines of the Original Equipment manufacturer (Toyota) for that engine. I don't think I've ever had a manual for that car.

Most remans require that the first oil change take place at 500 mile. AC/Delco remains still call for this as well. Most remains especialy those not done buy the OEM usualy have surface finish's that are really rough/coarse. You might compare it to OEM engines from 15 years ago. Seeing how coarse the finish is I do not think that any oil on the market even Redline would hamper break-in.

I do not think that you really need to worry that much about useing LE oils! Their are plenty of quality dino oils available over the counter. Chevron Supreme,Havoline,Mobil 7500(wich is a blend),Penzoil etc.......You alternative would be for you to order your own oil and simply take it to the shop when you drop the car off for oil change. I would only take the amount needed for that oil change!

I also think that if I were going to special order oil I might look at what Schaffers has to offer. I think that Schaffers makes a slightly better product then LE.

Hello, newbie here...

Last night I took delivery of my 'born again' Camry. At 248k miles, I just had a remanufactured engine put in married to a used tranny that had only 7k on it.

1st - My wife picked it up from the shop in VA where I had the swap done and drove it back here to NC last night (about 2 hrs). The mechanic filled it with Castrol Syntec 5w-30, which I am supposed to change at 500 miles (per reman engine warranty). I'm told that synthetic may not have been the best choice for him to use for a break in due to how thin it is - true? I've been advised to keep it in there for the 500 mi -agree? What would you put in during the next breakin short drain cycle (I think it is at 1000 or 1500 mi).

2nd - I used LE Monolec oil in the original engine from when I got it up until it burnt the valve last month and I decided to do a motor swap rather than starting to invest in significant repairs to that motor. The garage that used to do my oil changes told me last month they are no longer going to bother to carry LE b/c I am one of the only customers that they have that uses it. I'm a believer, but now I'm in the hunt for a new source & preferrably one that actually does oil changes. Do you think the LE hassle is worth it? If I don't continue with it, what would you all reccomend? I really liked the long drain aspect (used to do every 15k)and the great protection it seemed to provide. I'd like to see another 250k out of this car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back