Cameras

With almost everyone having a cellphone today there is really no need to use a camera anymore, unless they're a professional photographer. I own (2) Canon digital cameras and several 35mm cameras.
I use my digital cameras every now and then. Does anyone else here use a digital camera anymore? How about a camera that uses film?

I sorta got into film photography in the past year, and have shot about six rolls on an old Canon AE-1 program we had around the house.
I've had a lot of fun with it; the product is much different than what digital cameras can take (but the iPhone has a fantastic camera in its own right). I've really been liking Kodak Ultramax 400 (what all these shots were). Walgreens still sends them out for processing, too.
For reference, I'm old enough that my baby/kid pics were shot on film, but we got a digital camera by the time I was about 7 or 8.

99D54289-98DB-4A57-A804-2E3FC3754139_1_105_c.jpeg
992E1BE6-9887-432C-A997-81FCE869D81E_1_105_c.jpeg
BAA08F8A-04D4-4BC0-9C51-A0ED6FD3D4FD_1_105_c.jpeg
7C7E63D7-7968-4655-BB19-72391D7C1D4F_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

• 29F3CD3D-C3F5-4B22-ACFA-A998C9D3A324_1_105_c.jpeg
    29F3CD3D-C3F5-4B22-ACFA-A998C9D3A324_1_105_c.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
If I was a photo buff, I'd probably have a better one, not sure how to get good lenses on a iDevice.

But I'm not, so my iPhone is "good enough".

Call me crazy, but I would never have guessed at this thing. I remember when disposable cameras hit the scene, it became the "in thing" to have 'em at weddings.

I will still use my digital camera if I am taking pictures of one of my kid's birthdays or other special events. The new cell phone cameras are definitely extremely good right now without question. However I do enjoy using my Panasonic GX85 and a prime 25mm lens. I have a camera somewhere in my closet that takes film. Heck, it might even still have a roll in it!

I am a serious photographer. I keep m D850 and F lenses but I have moved to mirrorless Z6 and Z7. if you put the time in to learn the camera the images are stunning. Dynamic range is but one of the benefits.

I say yes. I love camera photography. Nothing compares to the quality of a camera picture. The days I miss are the film camera days. I’ll still use my dads Minolta film camera occasionally. I’ve got a Nikon camera I forget the model of it though but it takes great pictures. My phone does too but the camera still beats it by a bit and does better motion shots.

I sorta got into film photography in the past year, and have shot about six rolls on an old Canon AE-1 program we had around the house.
I've had a lot of fun with it; the product is much different than what digital cameras can take (but the iPhone has a fantastic camera in its own right). I've really been liking Kodak Ultramax 400 (what all these shots were). Walgreens still sends them out for processing, too.
For reference, I'm old enough that my baby/kid pics were shot on film, but we got a digital camera by the time I was about 7 or 8.

View attachment 45037View attachment 45038View attachment 45039View attachment 45040

I like the film but these images would benefit from a lower speed Velvia or Extachrome if it's still available.

I might have to pull my Pentax 35mm camera out the box of cameras in my closet. It's my favorite. Now that I know Walgreen's still develops film I will use them after I shoot a roll. Does anyone know where I might buy some 35mm film?
I ordered a 16 GB SD micro card from Amazon Tuesday to install in my dash camera and they sent me a regular size SD card. I called Amazon and they are sending me another micro card, A REAL MICRO CARD, free of charge.

SD CARD.jpeg

I might have to pull my Pentax 35mm camera out the box of cameras in my closet. It's my favorite. Now that I know Walgreen's still develops film I will use them after I shoot a roll. Does anyone know where I might buy some 35mm film?
I ordered a 16 GB SD micro card from Amazon Tuesday to install in my dash camera and they sent me a regular size SD card. I called Amazon and they are sending me another micro card, A REAL MICRO CARD, free of charge.

View attachment 45046
Walmart sells Fuji Superia 400 for about $20 for 3 rolls of 36 exposures; Walgreens is hit-or-miss for stocking film, but one local store has Kodak Ultramax 400 for about the same price (although 24 exposures rather than 36). Developing there is right around $19 a roll of 36 for singles. CVS does it as well, but they quote several weeks and Walgreens has always had mine back within a week. Walmart does it as well, and quotes 6 or 7 days. All of these options mail away the film, where it's developed and scanned and then sent electronically back to your local store, where they do the printing and make a CD for you (this means no negatives get returned).

Last edited:
There's a serious photographer in me waiting to emerge again someday. We owned a 1 hour minilab for 17 years (remember them?) It hurt watching Kodak destroy itself trying to evolve into digital photography. Phone cameras and digital is ok but there's nothing like looking at real photo paper prints from wet chemical process that were properly shot and printed. The craft of photography is largely forgotten. The sad part is, think about the really old family photos you probably have in a box somewhere from 40,50, 100 years ago and consider what your descendants will have to look at in 50+ years. Most likely nothing at all. I have photos well over 100 years old of my grandfather as a very young child .

I'm in the process right now of selling 4 camera bags of film camera equipment. Nice to hear some people are still using film.

I've been spending lots of my spare time learning how to make 4K time-lapse video from RAW pictures taking with my Sony A7 mirrorless. There is a lot to getting 1000 high quality pictures and ramping the exposure so you don't get flickering, then editing the keyframes in Lightroom, using LRTimelapse to do the transitions, then exporting all photos and making a 4k video. It's not simple.

This is one I did just to learn, it's a garbage scene, but you get the idea. I can't wait until it warms up and can I shoot a good scene.

I use a Nikon D750 with a 24-85mm hybrid lens on a regular basis for work. My last point and shoot (Canon A590 I think) went to the recycling depot due to a jammed lens mechanism not too long ago.

The low-light performance of the D750 still impresses me. I often wonder where it pulls the light from.

I also fly a DJI Inspire 2 drone equipped with a Zenmuse X5S camera.

In all cases, I am nowhere near exhausting the capabilities of my equipment. I feel guilty shooting in "Auto", but the cameras are better photographers than I am.

Walmart sells Fuji Superia 400 for about $20 for 3 rolls of 36 exposures; Walgreens is hit-or-miss for stocking film, but one local store has Kodak Ultramax 400 for about the same price (although 24 exposures rather than 36). Developing there is right around $19 a roll of 36 for singles. CVS does it as well, but they quote several weeks and Walgreens has always had mine back within a week. Walmart does it as well, and quotes 6 or 7 days. All of these options mail away the film, where it's developed and scanned and then sent electronically back to your local store, where they do the printing and make a CD for you (this means no negatives get returned).
Thank You Sir. ;)

Since I always believed the lens makes the camera, I use my Cannon digital camera over my phone camera always.

View attachment 45037View attachment 45043View attachment 45039View attachment 45040
Nice, I miss the days of film, kind of like missing the days of analog audio/vinyl.
My current go to camera is a Nikon 3300 DSLR but use it mostly just for special occasions. Camera phone have taken the place of "good enough" to share things with family and friends. Most of the time on a small screen.
Large format cameras rule with large prints, you can clearly see the difference. Like digital music, photos are now just a throw away, share it and select it thing, the stuff saved on hard drives will end up wasting away.
I need to get myself together, got hard drives on different computers full of photos and need to eliminate 90% of them, save a dozen or 2 from each year and get printed, then toss the computers.
BTW!
Im old enough to remember when the Canon AE1came out on the market, that year my very young wife bought me the competitions Olympus OM10 ... Years later moved onto a OM2, from there on was the digital world.
Nothing beats the simplicity of film and best part is, you didnt take so many darn photos, you sent them off to get developed, got the prints and were done, You had a printed photo. *L* There was more value to me with film. Now its just shoot as many photos as you want and delete the others, not as much as a challenge. Still ok.

In my youth I took an interest in photography, and learned how to use my dad's 35 mm camera. Old-school camera, manual everything, but I got pretty good at it. Years ago I treated myself and picked up a Canon Rebel T4i DSLR kit that was on sale. Later picked up the "nifty 50" F1.8 lens that can do short depth of field shots. I'll admit my digital point-and-shoot has things like being able to recognize faces and adjust the depth of field so everyone in a group photo shows up in focus (something I have to adjust on the DSLR), but the DSLR can do cool things like take LONG exposures at night where stars and even the Milky Way show up.

Back