calls soliciting charity donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old guy over the lane was engaged in conversation with a charity that he'd been contributing to for ages.

He's a friendly bloke, and said to the lady talking to him "Call me Alan", she replied with her name. They conducted business, he gave them dough.

15 mins later, phone rings again. Same voice, called him Alan, then started telling him about the charity that she represents.

He said "Aren't you .... that I was just talking to for ...?"

Response "No, I work for ....."

Him "Why did you call me Alan then ?"

Her "Because you told me your name."

This pensioner used to give above and beyond any reasonable call, but stopped instantly the day he realised that they thought him an easy mark, and would lie to him.

I am on a do not call list.
It's WONDERFUL!
But your personal business' can call.
And so can political parties and any charities.

Here's a tip that's worked great for me. No repeat callers so far.

Tell them you're unemployed and your charitiable contributions are on hold indefinitely. It's the quickest and easiest way to get them off the phone. They don't argue, try to persuade...nothing.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I am on a do not call list.
It's WONDERFUL!
But your personal business' can call.
And so can political parties and any charities.

I've had 100% success stopping unsolicited calls from businesses that I have a business relationship with. I just tell them that not calling me is a condition of doing business with me.

Robo-calls from politicians are another matter. It's hard to get through to those dirt bags.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
Last year I was at a meeting and the program was donating to charities. We were given a 2 page list of how much was given and how much the organization actually received. I was shocked to see they were given only pennies on the dollar. If you want to donate to any cause go directly to the group you want to support.
Administration costs are way out of line with some of these "charities"

Originally Posted By: XS650
I've had 100% success stopping unsolicited calls from businesses that I have a business relationship with. I just tell them that not calling me is a condition of doing business with me.

We're on the OZ do not call list.

It's been moderately successful with the locals, as they audibly drop a brick when advised.

But a lot of "charities" have moved their call centres to India, and I've had repeated arguments with Indians about how Australia's Do Not Call register does not apply to them...seriously, what makes you think you'll get a cent out of me by arguing with me ?

I've reported about a half a dozen, and two of the cases, the Do not call people have come back with the Australain company denying vehemently that they use Indian callers.

So far no charity places have called today. Finally a day where the phone doesn't ring once an hour.

I've thought about setting up an open source PBX on an old Linux PC to auto pickup any 800#, unavailable number, etc. Have it say "no solicitations accepted, we're on the DNC list, press 1 to ring through"

But I couldn't find step by step instructions for what I was wanting, and I didn't want to have to figure out myself.

I'm amazed no one sells something like that. It would just need 2 modems, and enough of processor to run a stripped down linux. The hardware cost should be less than a low end router.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Any phone calls from solicitors on my phone get blacklisted on my VOIP phone account including my own credit card company. I'm up to 23 phone numbers in the past two years. My phone hardly rings at all now.
grin2.gif

Only 23?!!! I subscribed to a blacklist service with my local phone provider, but I ran into the twenty number limit within a month or two. I was quite surprised there was a limit. Does it really require a lot of resources to store a few more numbers? It was also incapable of blocking any calls beyond Canada and the U.S. or calls that don't display the number. I unsubscribed at that point and went with the alternative option of being as rude as my mood allows to anyone that I actually get to talk to. Often it's just a dead line though. The load has decreased since the do-not-call list was initiated, but I still get a few.

I noticed the new Panasonic phones have a built-in blacklist feature. Does anyone have one or another brand with the same feature? I'd be willing to upgrade one of my Panasonics if it works well and stores a lot of numbers.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
American call centers were being used to attack Canada. Considered it a partial denial of service thing.

its america's revenge for making us deal with Pamela Anderson's various STDs.

o and those calls are super annoying. i somehow got put on a list for the American Heart Association after i had a heart surgeries when i was 14 and then again when i was 19. they are sneaky buggers too, they call and ask for volunteer time instead of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back