Calling German car pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've been putting together a winter beater ('96 Audi A4 quattro) and just have one problem to solve. I sometimes get a noise similar to loose change clanking around when going over bumps. It doesn't happen all the time, and I can only hear it with the window down at highway speeds.

Searching through some forums some have said it's possible the brake pads make this noise if no lubed correctly, or some bad swaybar endlinks.

New parts on the car:

-Pads/rotors up front (clip on pad holds in caliper piston tight)
-Steering rack (was leaking very bad)
-Caliper/carrier for caliper, pads/rotors in rear

I know the car has more of a complex suspension, but I really didn't see any bushings that look toast. Any good ideas or input would be great!

Zach

Pretty sure worn strut mounts can cause that. I've got a suspension I went through and replaced everything but the mounts about 30k miles ago and now have a similar rattling sound over bumps. Now I'm kicking myself for being cheap and not replacing them.

Anti roll bar bushes and drop links is a common cause of these type of noises. But worn strut mounts have to be considered when dealing with a VAG product.

I have friends that have owned lots of VAG products and for some reason they do seem prone to strut top mounts. Go figure!

Did you apply the anti-squeal grease on the brake pad clips? Also, do your calipers use a spring retainer? Those wear out too.

A very light rattle such as you describe is often the anti roll bar - replace the links and they fail again in fifty or sixty thousand miles . I'm on my third set and after this I let them rattle!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to give the suspension a good look over this weekend. I just don't want to have a mint in the car because it's a winter beater.

Also for the caliper lube. I just put lube on the pad contact area. The car uses the outside clip on the caliper in front with the inside pad that has a clips built in to lock in the caliper. I didn't put anything there and just snapped them in.

The rear got lube on the pad contact points and where the springs built into the pad hit.

Loose change (clinking) sounds a lot like swaybar end links...easy and cheap...and really obvious when it's up on a lift...

I just got the Volvo pads done and they "whistle".. some parts were re-used (budgetary concerns, extreme.) It *could* be those.. but other suspension components could be it, too!

The other replies seem very indicative of the prime suspects of what it could be on that Audi.

Does your Audi A4 have multiple aluminum control arms? Those are a major weakness on Audi models that have them. Also, the outer tie rod ends are usually worn out when the multiple control arms wear out.

It does have the multiple think suspension (4 links). They don't look bad and the bushings aren't in horrible shape. I have the car a shake down when I had it up in the air. Nothing seemed loose or an issues that needed to be addressed right away.

It seems like the strut mounts are making some noise though. I was playing around with it today, and it seems some noise is coming from that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back