Called into work, I'm NOT coming in Tomorrow!

up here they're calling for ice and 4-12" of snow between now and Tuesday Morning.

I'm Really hoping the Hospital doesn't try to release my dad these next 2 days. I CAN drive in deep snow, but i'd rather not if possible.
He's in the Ward that shall not be named b/c of the rules here. I got tested today, my mom and brother both calling their Doc to set a test up tomorrow.
becasue of my exposure, I'm on leave for the next 2 weeks... fun times...

Why does everyone forget that North America gets a little cold from time to time?

Take it slow and expect things not to work right without some help.

For people in some areas of OK and TX, temps like now are basically a 100 year event. Heck there are tons of homes in this region that don't even have frost free sillcocks, so bursting pipes are going to be abundant in the next week.

Stay safe everyone!

Supposed to get 1-2 tonight, and another 3-6 inches tomorrow night into Tuesday morning. I work tomorrow afternoon, but in should only be an inch or too before I get home...

Thursday is looking very, very interesting.....

I am with you staying at home. When I was younger and dumber, I would bust my rearend to get into work. Then I find most others stayed home. Then the company would close down before noon.

Not serious but still cold...
It's minus five and will get down to minus 13 here in Tonganoxie. Had installed pantyhose liner to keep debris off but it's looking more like a leg warmer for the new intake at the moment.
Pantywha...? I thought the phrase was dropper, not topper!

Real men go for that 💵 paperrr 💵

🤣🤣🤣

6-12" of snow, with -15 windchills and a 15mph wind.....

I'm supposed to report at 3AM, I don't think I could even get home, if I did make it to work. So I'm taking time.
Just too dangerous to take a econobox Nissan Hatchback out into this. Snow all day tomorrow,
I've been stuck in some bad snow drifts, but this cold has me concerned!
I'm in the rural Evansville area. Who knows when the Road Commissioner starts blading the roads....
I'll try not to die of a heart attack.
This is part of why I have an awd SUV and keep snow capable tires on it.

A lot of areas in IL get pretty dicey with that kind of snow. The plows can push it off the road, but an hour later there could be a two foot bank that reforms with the wind. I used to drive rural Illinois a lot and there were numerous time I either turned around because of a drift that was as tall as my car or the snow would completely cover the road for stretches and you couldn't tell what was road and what was not. Add the windchill issues right now and just staying home is a good decision.

I take it you've never had the joy of a TX Ice/Snow Storm have ya?

they don't have plows, don't salt the roads, and just dump sand/grit in intersections.
I can easily think of a couple such storms my brother didn't make it to work in, when he lived in eastern Tarrant County(Fort Worth), and worked down by Love Field.(Dallas)

he grew up here in OH, back when we had real winters on the regular so he knows how to drive in the snow, and his 4wd Dakota had severe snow rated tires. the roads were basically solid ice. i think he got about 2 miles from the house (after about 20 minutes), before he gave up and went back home.
Exactly. In a past life I was working with a field-rep for a software company who flew in to work with me for a week to set up the system. She was living in Atlanta but mentioned that she was originally from Buffalo. Eventually we started talking about driving in this weather and she said that she says that she stays home when it snows. Of course, I had to ask if she forgot everything driving in a Buffalo winter taught her and she said that it wasn't her skills she was worried about; between the lack of snow removal equipment and people there not knowing how to drive in the stuff, she didn't want to be out in that.

A lot of areas in IL get pretty dicey with that kind of snow. The plows can push it off the road, but an hour later there could be a two foot bank that reforms with the wind. I used to drive rural Illinois a lot and there were numerous time I either turned around because of a drift that was as tall as my car or the snow would completely cover the road for stretches and you couldn't tell what was road and what was not. Add the windchill issues right now and just staying home is a good decision.
Yup. I was out yesterday before the new stuff started falling. The main roads were OK, but there are still a lot of fields/open areas in the far west/southwest suburbs and there was a lot of snow on some of the side roads. Not completely covered but lots of stretches where there were just two clear lines in the pavement where tires moved the snow and the rest of the road was covered.

They can close the bank, they can close the government but they'll NEVER close down.....the dealership service department!!!

I'm hoping we don't get the additional 6 inches forecasted for today because my wife is scheduled to work tonight. She's a nurse so there's really no calling in for her unless the state shuts the highways down.

So you can risk your life for the man?
There are areas where it snows on a daily basis, at times. Or at least once a week. Right now I still have an ice covered driveway, and some of the roads around aren't much better.

I'm glad I don't "have to" drive in the mess anymore--but I'm very thankful for those who "have to" get to work regardless of weather. I like to think of my staying off the roads as a very minor contribution to not being in the way and clogging up the roads.

There are areas where it snows on a daily basis, at times. Or at least once a week. Right now I still have an ice covered driveway, and some of the roads around aren't much better.

I'm glad I don't "have to" drive in the mess anymore--but I'm very thankful for those who "have to" get to work regardless of weather. I like to think of my staying off the roads as a very minor contribution to not being in the way and clogging up the roads.
Yeah, living with snow is not the same as what the OP is talking about.

Where he lives, where I live, snow shuts everything down - people are simply not prepared. No plows, winter tires, etc.

And it is best to stay home. If you're out on the road with idiots... What does that make you?

For people in some areas of OK and TX, temps like now are basically a 100 year event. Heck there are tons of homes in this region that don't even have frost free sillcocks, so bursting pipes are going to be abundant in the next week.
Hopefully I get to avoid the broken pipe fun. Very makeshift and last minute, but it's effective. Heat lamp under there aimed at the brick directly below the faucet. Toasty.

Attachments

• Faucet.jpg
    Faucet.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 15
I am only 38 but it seems like almost every year there is some chunk of the US that gets snow or freezing temps that “never” happen. Everyone is shocked and the world grinds to a halt because two flakes of snow flew in the south.

The op is in Illinois so it shouldn't be any earth shattering shock to have sub zero temps for a while in the winter.

Back