Caliper Slide Pin Bolts Broke inside the slide pin

JC1

I was doing the rear brakes on my 2015 dodge Caravan. When removing the Caliper Bracket bolts (The two small bolts that go into the slide pins, they were hard to come out. After getting them to budge and removing them, I noticed that both bolts snapped and maybe 10%-20 of the bolt is stuck inside the bottom of the slide pin. See the stock image below for the part in red that I circled that is still inside the slide pin.

I didn't take any pics at the time, I was more than ticked. I just stopped at this point in time since I didn't have any replacement parts and the van was on the driveway and didn't want to leave everything apart.

Do you think I will be able to get the slide pins off with 15% of the bolt inside and get away with just replacing them with new slide pins and bolts? I'm hoping I won't FUBAR the caliper bracket itself.

1685190148066.jpg

Don't the slide pins just slide out of the caliper bracket? If not, just unbolt the caliper bracket itself.
Yes they do. I just didn't want to make a mess of it at the time.

Going call the stealership today and see if they have replacement pins in stock.

I was doing the rear brakes on my 2015 dodge Caravan. When removing the Caliper Bracket bolts (The two small bolts that go into the slide pins, they were hard to come out. After getting them to budge and removing them, I noticed that both bolts snapped and maybe 10%-20 of the bolt is stuck inside the bottom of the slide pin. See the stock image below for the part in red that I circled that is still inside the slide pin.

I didn't take any pics at the time, I was more than ticked. I just stopped at this point in time since I didn't have any replacement parts and the van was on the driveway and didn't want to leave everything apart.

Do you think I will be able to get the slide pins off with 15% of the bolt inside and get away with just replacing them with new slide pins and bolts? I'm hoping I won't FUBAR the caliper bracket itself.

View attachment 158007
Napa and most other parts stores have these items in stock.

I'm just wondering if they are the exact fit as OEM. I bought some slider pin boots from Napa for my Honda Civic and they weren't even close in size.
Yes, I use NAPA all the time, you'll be fine. Civics have different variants, Caravans not so much.

Reactions: JC1
I'm just wondering if they are the exact fit as OEM. I bought some slider pin boots from Napa for my Honda Civic and they weren't even close in size.
Must be a Honda thing. I had the same thing with our 2007 Honda Odyssey year ago. Had to go to a Honda parts counter to get the right boots. The 2-3 local parts stores I tried at the time "had them in stock", but they weren't even close.

Use a bit of antiseize on them when you re-assemble.
This would be critical area where anti-seize is not a good idea. You want the bolt to be tight and secure with no way of backing off. Also anti-seize is not to be used on any brake components in my opinion especially when special brake lubes are made for good reason such as temperature resistance, wash out resistance, rubber safe etc.

Back