Caliper piston push back tool?

I just use a C clamp and a flat piece of metal or even plastic or wood if I had to but that works fine. I make sure to put a bit of oil in the socket pivot so it free spins around easily and won't cause drag to the solid part and I put a rag to not scratch. Has always worked like a charm.

The kits like the ones pictured in this thread are often under $20 on Amazon. They all look pretty much identical except the color of the case.
The one I bought worked well on the RAV4 I did a couple of months ago. The ratcheting one would’ve been quicker but these kits are more versatile.
If you don’t need to wind the piston, you just select the combo of discs that allows the pins to spin freely.
rats! I don’t have a pic of it in action, but here it is in the background for proof of purchase.
8D6C4C9D-8DD3-45E1-983B-A816461668B8.jpeg

What do you folks to push the caliper piston back in on vehicles? I use a c clamp or a craftsman push back tool I had for ages. Wondering what you use for ones that are reverse winding like Ford transit cans use.

Thank You
Tool?!
I grab the floating caliper and pull it against the puck while the brakes are still together.
If it doesn't retract you have problems. Takes about 5-7 seconds to bleed back into the MC.

Some people jam a screwdriver in the caliper window and pry it back.
I never serviced screw/rotating type disc brakes, so i cant talk about those.

-Ken

Tool?!
I grab the floating caliper and pull it against the puck while the brakes are still together.
If it doesn't retract you have problems. Takes about 5-7 seconds to bleed back into the MC.

Some people jam a screwdriver in the caliper window and pry it back.
I never serviced screw/rotating type disc brakes, so i cant talk about those.

-Ken
Again, those type calipers need tools, and thats what the OP asked.

Reactions: JC1
If you have an integrated electric parking brake you need to retract it first. Some calipers will be ruined if you push them back without rotation. Research your application before ruining a couple hundred dollar caliper.

The kits like the ones pictured in this thread are often under $20 on Amazon. They all look pretty much identical except the color of the case.
The one I bought worked well on the RAV4 I did a couple of months ago. The ratcheting one would’ve been quicker but these kits are more versatile.
If you don’t need to wind the piston, you just select the combo of discs that allows the pins to spin freely.
rats! I don’t have a pic of it in action, but here it is in the background for proof of purchase. View attachment 59589
Thank You sir 👍

For the fronts my big channel locks against an old pad is my go to; I also have the Cheapo Spreader.
For the Honda twist backs, a kit would be nice, but I have free rented the OReilly kit.
Last time I just took my pickle fork and twisted them back.
I bought a cheap one for Hondas. Think it went on a ratchet. Can't remember. Just know you don't want to push one that needs turning (like some Hondas) or bad things can happen, they say ..

rats! I don’t have a pic of it in action, but here it is in the background for proof of purchase. View attachment 59589
Thanks for the heads up; ordered one for myself and one for work. My boss reimbursed me for both for my $600 tool allowance. What else do I need now?🤔🤣

Why would you use the stupid cube when the tool you have does a better job ?
Some people rather be cheap and live with the frustration of using an inferior tool.

I loved my universal kit... lended it to one of my friends many times after he was cussing using the cube tool

Some people rather be cheap and live with the frustration of using an inferior tool.

I loved my universal kit... lended it to one of my friends many times after he was cussing using the cube tool
The cheap cube I have is too small for my 2015 Caravan. I need to buy a set, but I'll wait a while to pick one up.

I've never used any tool in particular for this. Just a good C-clamp or Chanel Locks(opened wide) or even a large screwdriver(if changing the pads anyway). Just put the screwdriver in while the pads are in place before lifting up the caliper and PRY/push-back the piston!

Or if they're the turn-in type of pistons, I've only used a pair of needle nose pliers of proportional size and the good strong grip of my own hands.

Back