California Moves To Ban Natural Gas Furnaces / Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a good place to respond, but that was Berkeley with the first local ordinance that barred new natural gas hookups. A Ninth Circuit ruling just put that on hold on the premise that federal law controls whether or not natural gas is allowed or not because only the federal government can regulate energy consumption under this law. It was a restaurant association that sued. And I certainly get it - especially with some kinds of cooking where there's not likely an acceptable substitute for gas ranges.

I guess it's hard to use a wok on an induction plate. LOL.

I guess it's hard to use a wok on an induction plate. LOL.

That was generally what I was thinking of. I actually found myself talking to someone who was a cook at a Chinese restaurant, and they said the secret was to have something extremely hot and that had to be turned extremely quickly. You can't replicate that in most homes without something like one of those massive commercial style gas stoves.

I've heard that for using woks on traditional style electric elements, it would require a stand and it wasn't terribly good at transmitting heat. Some even use these with gas stoves in order to concentrate the heat.

large-steel-wok.jpg

As I understand ,NY was/is considering banning NG in new buildings. It has not passed but is/was under consideration. I suspect pushing such a thing will resume after election time.

she's horrible, what she did with the housing "plan" was wait till after the election to pull that on the taxpayers, well pushing lower income housing has REALLY riled up taxpayers where I am located, and I pray that she gets voted OUT next time. Ultimately, I will refuse to pay taxes to states with policies like these. Time for the government to get their hand off our throats.

she's horrible, what she did with the housing "plan" was wait till after the election to pull that on the taxpayers, well pushing lower income housing has REALLY riled up taxpayers where I am located, and I pray that she gets voted OUT next time. Ultimately, I will refuse to pay taxes to states with policies like these. Time for the government to get their hand off our throats.
I'm trying to figure out where all this electricity to heat all the buildings in NY is going to come from? Probably natural gas fueled power plants! 🙃

Fwtw, heatpump water-heaters are NOT anywhere near as efficient as a heat pump used to heat the inside of a home. This is because the water temperature in the hot water tank is much hotter than the inside of a home and therefore the high side pressure of the refrigerant system of the heat pump water heater is it at a much greater pressure than the high side pressure of the heat pump system being used to heat a home. While the low side if pulling air from outdoors would still be at a similar pressure to a heat pump system used to heat a house interior. Because of the much greater pressure difference the compressor of heat pump water heater has to work much harder and therefore is not anywhere near as efficient as a heat pump that is used to heat the interior of a house.

Where a heat pump water heater really shines is if the evaporator coil is exchanging air with the inside of a house in the summertime. Then you get free air conditioning in the house, including the dehumidification of condensation of water being removed from humid summer air that occurs with water droplets condensing on the outside of the evaporator coil and draining away in the drain system from that evaporator coil. And of course more BTUs of hot water than you would get from resistive heating. Another place they really shine is if you have them in a hot garage in the summertime where the garage itself is not being cold by the houses air conditioning system and essentially is a giant greenhouse effect where normally the temperature in the garage may reach well above 100° f. This is an especially nice advantage if you happen to work on vehicles in that garage. In general they do have a payback period that is shorter than the life expectancy of the unit. But still it's not in the same ballpark as heat pump systems that are used to heat the interior of a house.

BTW, back in the '70s I worked for one of the two energy research companies that invented heat pump water heaters back then. And we did a lot of monitoring of the efficiency of the systems we made under a grant from the Department Of Energy, we made three units for every state in the United States including Alaska and Hawaii and even the Philippines. They were all installed by Electric utilities local to where they were shipped, and along with each of those units we sent out equipment to monitor the efficiency when they were run for 2 weeks in heat pump mode and then switched for 2 weeks to resistive heating, repeatedly. I designed a lot of the package that went along with each of those units and I also was in charge of the production line for the second half of the amount of the heatpump units that were built, and personally checked every monitoring package for correct wiring after it was built by the shop, before it was shipped.

Last edited:
Anyone care to actually tackle why this is such a bad idea?

California is a big state, but in general, the climate doesn't require the heating needs of a gas-fueled furnace. That's hard for a midwestener or northeastener to understand, but population centers don't see -20F every winter. A heat pump is probably ideal and I'd be willing to bet most new homes have already gone that route.

Most major municipalities in California have already banned natural gas-fired appliances. A good portion of this already doesn't affect 80% of the population.

For a personal perspective, homes without a gas-fired furnace and appliances have much better indoor air quality. If I lived in a climate that supported it, I'd have gotten rid of my gas furnace long ago.

What about power outages? You use you furnace at completely different times and in a completely different manner than the *other* electricity hog: Air conditioning. A switch to electric heat (again, in the form of efficient heat pumps) will not have nearly the same electricity-usage impact as the already-existing maximum demand.

On the topic of power outages, it's not like they're exclusive to California. Ask Texas about how well their gas-fired state does in extreme weather. They seem to have trouble keeping the lights on and homes at a comfortable temperature with gas.
Yeah - all electric TX home neighborhoods were the disasters …
I didn’t drop power ever in record freezing - had direct NG heat - own 4 generators on 3 fuels if I had …
CA would tank 10x worse if they ever got into single digits …
I had 40 year old plants die at half life in 2020 …
CA has 100-300 year old living plants …
Perfectly happy with what I have - thanks anyway …

Why not a water cooled LP/natural gas generator engine with the radiator used to provide heat for the living space? Always wondered why that wasn't done. Why do we burn natural gas in a furnace instead of using it to run a generator, and using the heat from the generator to warm the space and use the electricity to run a heat pump?
7 reasons come to mind, and there's probably a few others I haven't thought of.

1)Cost
2)Cost
3)Cost
4)Noise
5) maintenance, many people will not change the oil, check that the start battery is good to go, change air cleaner.
6)Space
7) life expectancy of an engine that's used in that type of situation could be rather low. Let it sit for years unused and then expected to work when it's needed. Or in other situations run it for hundreds or thousands of hours without anyone looking at the maintenance of it.

---------------------

While it is technically doable, if the sales volume is not high because of the additional cost compared to a conventional system, then the engineering cost of designing the whole package has to be divided among the few units that are sold and the engineering cost alone would be staggering to do it right and make it reliable and safe for the general public to use, and then you add that cost to the cost of the package itself and the sales volume would be too low to be worth the hassle of doing the whole project.

In the past there have been some well-intentioned engineers who have wasted their time jousting at these theoretical windmills such as an attempt to sell a sterling based engine combination home generator and heating system package that did not have sales volume sufficient to keep the project afloat. One of the tough things about engineering a project is that if you're going to spend the time and energy and money to design something, you better pick a project that in the end is going to have a sales potential big enough to make it worth going after in the first place.

Last edited:
That was generally what I was thinking of. I actually found myself talking to someone who was a cook at a Chinese restaurant, and they said the secret was to have something extremely hot and that had to be turned extremely quickly. You can't replicate that in most homes without something like one of those massive commercial style gas stoves.

I've heard that for using woks on traditional style electric elements, it would require a stand and it wasn't terribly good at transmitting heat. Some even use these with gas stoves in order to concentrate the heat.

large-steel-wok.jpg
Bluestar is one of the few if not the sole remaining manufacturer of residential gas stoves with open burners. They sell a wok ring which allows a wok to sit really close to the burner.

Check it out.

I'm trying to figure out where all this electricity to heat all the buildings in NY is going to come from? Probably natural gas fueled power plants! 🙃
Well they closed the Indian Point Nuclear power plant in Buchanan NY so yeah that’s what’s happening…

Just think how wonderful life will be when every manufactured item is made off shore and we import all our food from South America and China ! The pollution our Tv doesn't tell us about will not be thought about.

Horrible? You're too kind.

We're heading to a point where these topics aren't going to be allowed.

See idealogs are tedious.

I'll leave that last post as the level of discussion some here are so proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back