California high capacity mag ban news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Never expected to see this in your state. Think it will stand?

Don't expect Commiefornia to not appeal this the Nine Circuit of Clowns.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

"On July 17, 2018, a three-judge panel from the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld Benitez's ruling, voting 2-to-1 against the ban and sending the case back to Benitez.

On March 29, 2019, Benitez again ruled against the ban, issuing an order barring California Attorney General Xavier Becerra from enforcing the ban."

Source: https://bit.ly/2FEnXaW

I fully expect the process to continue to grind away, until they find a judge, or group of judges, who then uphold the ban on standard capacity magazines, at which point, the cycle will end. Leaving the citizenry, "short armed" and unable to choose an appropriate method of defense.

Having been attacked by a group of 9 armed men, I can tell you that 10 rounds is an absolute JOKE.

Furthermore, the intense discussion about so called "high powered weaponry in the hands of the citizenry" is also an absolute JOKE. These toys we are "allowed" to possess are in fact, very low yield playthings. Some of which can't reliably penetrate a car windshield or door. None of which can penetrate a concrete block wall or sandbag.

Last edited:
I get the Second Amendment issue, but help me out here: short of repelling a foreign invasion or in law enforcement work, of what use is a 30-round magazine? Or is the concern this ban could lead to others?

Originally Posted by Danh
I get the Second Amendment issue, but help me out here: short of repelling a foreign invasion or in law enforcement work, of what use is a 30-round magazine? Or is the concern this ban could lead to others?

Because once you open the door, what's next? Ban 30 round mags? Next would be ban 10 round mags. That leaves 5 round mags. Next no mags. That's why.

That's kind of like the " Why do you need a truck/suv?"

Because i can.

Originally Posted by oldhp

Because once you open the door, what's next? Ban 30 round mags? Next would be ban 10 round mags. That leaves 5 round mags. Next no mags. That's why.

That's the slippery slope of regulation that has taken place here, with consecutive left-leaning governments tightening the noose, whilst the more right-of-centre admins only repeal or modify parts of what has been imposed. Ergo, the direction is one always heading toward more restriction with very few "hiccups" of repeal along the way.

Current situation is that:
- Many semi's are now "restricted", meaning they can only be transported to and from a dedicated range. This is also the case for all handguns.
- All semi's, save those that shoot a pistol calibre, are limited to 5ds. Pistol calibres are limited to 10.
- There is no limit on capacity for bolt guns or shotguns with tubular magazines

Current administration is being pressured to outright ban all semi's and handguns because criminals, who procure arms illegally, are using the latter in crimes. Semi's simply scare this same group, and many (most?) conflate semi-automatic with automatic. We figure their next move will be to go after hunting rifles by calling them "high powered sniper rifles"
smirk.gif

What will your hit percentage will be in a self-defense scenario?

How many rounds will it take to stop an attacker?

How many attackers will you face?

Tell me those numbers, and I'll tell you how many rounds you need.

Here's an estimate:

For the first two numbers, let's examine actual police shootings. The NYPD is widely reported to hit about 30% of the time. They're trained law enforcement, so I'll assume you can't do a lot better. It takes anywhere from one to 12 rounds to stop a determined assailant. Depends on hit accuracy, bullet lethality, physiology of the assistant, etc. but for arithmetic simplicity, let's go with 4 rounds.

Remember, because it's critical to this, or any self defense discussion, that you're trying to stop an assailant. Generally young, male, strong, and determined. If they die five minutes after killing you, your shot was ineffective. You need to stop the attack right now. That generally takes multiple rounds, again, in police shooting experience.

And you're facing three attackers who broke into your home.

So you need 1/0.3 (hit percentage) x 4 (numbers of rounds for a stop) x 3 (assailants)

You need 40 rounds.

But only if you're as good a shot as the cops.

See?

Arbitrary capacity limitations are a joke.

Originally Posted by Astro14

What will your hit percentage will be in a self-defense scenario?

How many rounds will it take to stop an attacker?

How many attackers will you face?

Tell me those numbers, and I'll tell you how many rounds you need.

Here's an estimate:

For the first two numbers, let's examine actual police shootings. The NYPD is widely reported to hit about 30% of the time. They're trained law enforcement, so I'll assume you can't do a lot better. It takes anywhere from one to 12 rounds to stop a determined assailant. Depends on hit accuracy, bullet lethality, physiology of the assistant, etc. but for arithmetic simplicity, let's go with 4 rounds.

Remember, because it's critical to this, or any self defense discussion, that you're trying to stop an assailant. Generally young, male, strong, and determined. If they die five minutes after killing you, your shot was ineffective. You need to stop the attack right now. That generally takes multiple rounds, again, in police shooting experience.

And you're facing three attackers who broke into your home.

So you need 1/0.3 (hit percentage) x 4 (numbers of rounds for a stop) x 3 (assailants)

You need 40 rounds.

But only if you're as good a shot as the cops.

See?

Arbitrary capacity limitations are a joke.

thumbsup2.gif
Well said.

Mag limits only harm people defending themselves. Attackers can simply bring more mags and spend two seconds changing them.

I'm also not sure how you can conclude people with full sized guns, taxpayer funded training, armor, radios, and backup need standard capacity mags but regular folks should be limited with neutered mags.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Never expected to see this in your state. Think it will stand?

True. But its a win no matter how slight for the good guys. I'm sure it will be in litigation for decades.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Here is the news story with sound.

Unfortunately we still can't shoot after the bad guys retreat. Plus bullets hitting houses across the street isn't good.

Originally Posted by spasm3

That's kind of like the " Why do you need a truck/suv?"

Because i can.

01.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
spasm3 said:
Here is the news story with sound.

Unfortunately we still can't shoot after the bad guys retreat.

There are very, very few jurisdictions in which anyone can shoot after the bad guys retreat.

To do so is illegal most places, and unethical everywhere.

You shoot (apply lethal force) to stop a threat. That's the only time you're allowed to shoot - to stop a threat.

Once that threat is retreating, it is no longer a threat.

So, to shoot at that point is generally illegal.

And always unethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back