Calibrate, replace or self-test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Matco 1/2in drive torque wrench I use A LOT for lugs and other such parts as well as a 1/4in drive Proto which sees more limited use. The proto is ok, but about 8% off through its range. The Matco seems to have come out of calibration all together as the scale indicator no longer lines up correctly.

Called a couple shops around and received one of two replies: Either it'll be cheaper to buy a new wrench from us than fix yours or you have to send it into Matco for adjustment.

Had it calibrated a couple years ago with no problems, but I don't know if it required adjustment that time. Worth shipping it to Matco or are those CDI brand wrenchs for $150 that good of a deal? What about some of the digital torque testers out there?

All torque wrenches have to be, dialed back to lowest setting not below or above as these positions will directly affect the spring ( If the lowest setting is 30FT/LBs that's what you keep it at all the time unless torquing), they need to be stored flat or horizontal so the grease does not migrate, need to be protected from shock ( never used as anything except Torquing applications) and need to be tested for accuracy every 3 - 12 months depending on use.
When repairs are needed it is always cheaper to buy new unless its a big Industrial monster wrench or the manufacture is wanting to help you out.
I may have missed something as I'm on a quick break.

Had a beam style wrench when I was working in a bike shop; it was a PITA and I would avoid them if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back