Cadillac's new ATS V-Spec: Hi-Speed Orgasmotron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Brabus-Bullit-800-coupe-301-626x382.jpg

Black and is 800hp enough?

How much does this cost? It's probably not built for the same demographic as the ATS-V.

Well its not a $299 ATS lease special; which is the point really.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
So it has the CTS's current TT V6 just bumped up a bit, predictable.

Also I think Mercedes has a lot to say about fast luxury sedans considering they have been building them longer than BMW has.

The 2015 C63 is faster than the ATS BTW.

They have a lot to say about how to overprice luxury sedans...

Don't get me wrong, the AMG v8 and v12 Biturbo drivetrains are engineering marvels. But when you can practically buy 3 Hellcats for the same price, you know its not about the engineering but about the ego boost.

I can't imagine a more different car than a Hellcat and an S65 AMG, well since both run on Mercedes R&d...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
So it has the CTS's current TT V6 just bumped up a bit, predictable.

The gee-whiz factors on the Cadillac's engine are the redesigned low-volume induction system and the turbos with Titanium Aluminide turbine wheels. This is the first application of that material that I know of in a mass-production car. Ti-Al is about half the mass of the typical Inconel that is used for turbine wheels, and will contribute to reduced turbo lag.

Even at 455 HP, the engine doesn't seem to be up to its full potential because peak power is achieved at 5750 rpm. The max power for the naturally aspirated 3.6 V6 is at 6800 rpm, so more power could be had by increasing rpm without bumping the manifold pressure. Seems like 500+ HP would be easily achievable with a change to longer duration cams. If they offer this engine in the next generation Camaro, I would have a hard time deciding between it and an LT1 V8.

I love the new Caddy's and have about 3k miles of seat time in a 2014 CTS with the TTV6, great cars really. But I call it like I see it.

ATS would have been much more special with a V8, LS1.

IMHO GM has one of the best and most compact V8's in the business now. [censored] shame its not in their compact car.

Last edited:
Actually I am seeing the difference in Cadillac since 1994-1998 when they Had to change
the brand image from my grandpa's type: land-yacht.

Too bad the other brands didn't rest on their laurels.

They also read the market sooner and better.

I looked at last year's ATS, opened the hood and closed the hood.

End of story.

What does GM have to offer someone shopping for an STi or a GTR?

If you want a nice Buick, move to Europe and buy an Opel.

OK, I'm a baby-boomer and therefore I don't get it. Say what?

Where is your next demographics?

Well, you could try the X-Games, that would be a good place to start looking for new customers.

What are they driving?

What do you have to offer for an alternative?

I would say that this is Cadillac's last chance to get it right.

I'll probably go blind and lose my licence before I see a Cadillac
that; "I always wanted one".

Sorry, this one is not on my bucket list.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what it would take to get me to buy an ATS:

Remove the turbo V6 and install the Mercury Marine 4.5L V6/LSV8 option.

Give me a switch so I can turn off the traction control and ABS completely.

Raise the ride height 25mm.

Four doors.

Stiffer suspension.

Wait a minute....did I almost describe a Pontiac G8?

What happened to that car?

Oh! You sold them all.

correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the inline 6 be always a better design then the v6? I don't see how you want to compete with bmw when you can't offer something similar, one the best part about their cars are the inline 6 man!

Originally Posted By: used_0il

What does GM have to offer someone shopping for an STi or a GTR?

If you want a nice Buick, move to Europe and buy an Opel.

OK, I'm a baby-boomer and therefore I don't get it. Say what?

Where is your next demographics?

Well, you could try the X-Games, that would be a good place to start looking for new customers.

What are they driving?

What do you have to offer for an alternative?

I would say that this is Cadillac's last chance to get it right.

I'll probably go blind and lose my licence before I see a Cadillac
that; "I always wanted one".

Sorry, this one is not on my bucket list.

GM hasn't succeeded in every niche, but nor has any other brand. STI buyers might not be Subaru buyers forever. The ATS has been the best effort from Cadillac in a long time to reach out to a different demographic. Lord knows it is far better than the Catera was.

You boomers are a hard group to peg anyway. There's no telling what you will buy. Cars like the Scion XB and Honda Element were meant for young people, but who actually bought them? Boomers. Maybe some to give to their kids, but not all. My granola eating boomer parents were looking at new Honda Fits and Ford Fiestas, then the next thing I know they go buy a low mile '11 4.0L Ranger in bright red because "Ford won't make them anymore" and the Tacoma "looks like it's for kids" (nothing but Prerunners with fender flares on the lots). They could buy an ATS, but any Cadillac is so far off their list it's just not going to happen. I think my parents actually associate Cadillac with "old" more than young people do now, because when they were young that's exactly what old people bought. On the other hand, my generation saw them in music videos, saw pro athletes driving them, etc. My parents could also buy a European car if they wanted to, but they owned them in the 1970s, and while the memories are fond, they think of them as high maintenance and aren't willing to deal with high maintenance vehicles anymore. Their fondest memories are of a little Ford truck they bought in the 80s, so the newest equivalent of that is what's in the driveway, next to a loved/hated Civic Hybrid that was bought before it even got off the boat.

Frankly, as a youngish person (26), I'd consider a Cadillac as much as I would consider a Euro car or Japanese car. I'd probably end up buying the car that I considered the least "throwaway." But that's not a segment I'm interested in right now. Buying new, I'd probably end up in a RCSB Silverado or Ram. At heart, I'm a Ford guy, but not for current Fords. On a new vehicle, my money would go elsewhere. One thing boomers definitely taught my generation, at least me, is that brand loyalty is very conditional. That gives Cadillac a chance if they don't f things up.

The best part of the old MBs were the inline 6s, but you know how it
goes....Too easy to work on.
What's in it for the dealerships if they can't charge a thousand bucks for 12 spark plugs?

Both myself and daughter had trouble buying oil filters from two Benz dealerships.

"Oh!! What? Your not thinking of changing your own oil!!???
You need the special oil and our technicians are specially trained for your car.
You do care about your car don't you?"

Sound familiar?

XLranger; Why are you the only young person responding?

I think your post is sick.

The best part of the old MBs were the inline 6s, but you know how it
goes....Too easy to work on.
What's in it for the dealerships if they can't charge a thousand bucks for 12 spark plugs?

Both myself and daughter had trouble buying oil filters from two Benz dealerships.

"Oh!! What? Your not thinking of changing your own oil!!???
You need the special oil and our technicians are specially trained for your car.
You do care about your car don't you?"

Sound familiar?

Sounds like a [censored] dealer.

Working at a dealer, difficult cars are not our friends. We don't like them either.

Our bodyshop does all makes/models for all insurers. We do Euro cars all day, but don't enjoy it.

Me? I might give you an oil filter if I'm slammed and just need people away from my counter.

Me; I would like 6 oil filters please.
Parts; That will be $1,200.

Me; This is the parts department isn't it?
Parts; I will sell you the filters just to get you away from my counter.

Wait a minute....did I almost describe a Pontiac G8?

What happened to that car?

Oh! You sold them all.

Stop by your local Chevrolet dealer, it's called the SS. If you're so hot on it, you can buy one tomorrow.

Of course you're not going to buy one though, because you're an Internet blowhard. Go read some more press releases or Motor Trend.

I love the new Caddy's and have about 3k miles of seat time in a 2014 CTS with the TTV6, great cars really. But I call it like I see it.

ATS would have been much more special with a V8, LS1.

IMHO GM has one of the best and most compact V8's in the business now. [censored] shame its not in their compact car.

Maybe it's a matter of The General organizing the marketing to give Cadillac and Chevrolet different identities. The next Camaro is supposed to be based on the same platform as the ATS, and I can't imagine them designing that car without an LT1 V8, maybe slightly down-rated from the Corvette's. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if a V8 will fit in an ATS...

So the "Art and Science" Cadillac gets the high-tech whiz-bang twin-turbo V6.
And the "Meat and Potatoes" Chevrolet gets the in-your-face ground-pounding V8.

^^^Seems perfectly appropriate to me.

I for one will take the V8 simply for the soundtrack. As mentioned earlier the engine is remarkably compact AND light. And the ATS is the dynamic marvel of the entire GM lineup, truly amazing handling and balance.

Maybe GM can beat the Center of Gravity height of the Corvette, which is the best ever measured...

That is one t-shirt I would never buy my kids Clevy.

When people hit it big in the lotto, the first place they go is to the Benz store.

I've never heard someone say; "Oh, I always wanted a Cadillac".
Except maybe in "Good Fellas".

So its not about the car, but the image.

To me Cadillac smells like cigars and Depends.

You are hanging with the wrong class of people. I have always wanted a Cadillac. Had CTS for a long time. I would love a new ATS, the ones I have driven I love. I have never once said if I won the lotto I would want a Mercedes, but a CTS-V? Yep.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

When people hit it big in the lotto, the first place they go is to the Benz store.

You are hanging with the wrong class of people. I have always wanted a Cadillac. Had CTS for a long time. I would love a new ATS, the ones I have driven I love. I have never once said if I won the lotto I would want a Mercedes, but a CTS-V? Yep.

I've loved the CTS-V ever since a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his first gen 2005 CTS-V. It has a Borla exhaust and it sounds incredible.

Video is a flyby at the Tail of the Dragon.

How could you not love that car?

Internet blowhard has spent over $200,000 at one particular GM dealership in a 6 year period.

What caused the 2008 melt-down?

GM was manufacturing cars that nobody wanted.

This was particularly hard on dealerships and parts suppliers in the USA.

Cadillac and MB are trying to sell me an image.

I want a car.

If I wanted another Chev, I would mow the lawn and find about 11 of them.

Turbo and superchargers are for magazine writers and those "young professionals".

I can't put more than about 300 HP to the ground in an ATS size vehicle.

The highest speed limit in Canada is 120Km (75).

A 4.3 V6 with cylinder de-activating would make a 4 door ATS my next car.

A V8 would add too much weight up front, and if you can't use the power,
whats the point of having it?

Internet blowhard has spent over $200,000 at one particular GM dealership in a 6 year period.

I want a car.

Turbo and superchargers are for magazine writers and those "young professionals".

How about those of who actually track their car?
I suggest you go mow your lawn.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

I've loved the CTS-V ever since a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his first gen 2005 CTS-V. It has a Borla exhaust and it sounds incredible.

Video is a flyby at the Tail of the Dragon.

How could you not love that car?

They come up, good examples, for around 20,000. I would get one but don't to part with anything in the driveway, The Travel Trailer is my V. I have a hard time paying a 189 bucks a month for 3 years on the Equinox. I just turned 40 and I don't want to work until I am 57...So I will keep looking and find one with some miles and put the motor I want in it. Like this one which, I wasn't going to post on here because everyone is pretty judgmental, but picked it up for a song and dance. Guy spun a bearing it. Ran low on oil and his oil pressure sending unit wasn't working. Hope to start in on it next month. Has about 157,000 miles on it, very clean and the rear diff was recently rebuilt. I am going to keep the heads, get a cam and just use an LS1 bottom end
smile.gif
That will keep it cheap.
cts_v.png

That looks like a fun project LS 1 Mike.

When you shop for a cam, don't buy overlap,
the GM engine designers are smarter
than the cam buying public.

114-116 LSA sounds about right in blowhard's opinion.

Now whatever happened to the "ORIGIONAL" CTS tune-up?

I want a car.

You do know there is a space bar on your keyboard, right? It is used to separate sentences and create a paragraph. Every sentence doesn't need it's own line. There is no forum bonus for clicking the return key a certain number of times in a single post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back