Cadillac CTS 4 AWD driveline care and feeding

keep thos sunroof drains clean they tend to clog,no need for oil cooler btw.
had a 09cts for 5years.

awesome car super underrated,mine had the fe3 suspension was harsh on bad pavement but on a good one it handled amazing.
get the kpe tune it will transform your car like u wont believe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips.

2011-cadillac-cts-v-coupe_100336579_l.jpg

current Dexos 1 Generation 2 calls for a full synthetic motor oil...5W30 should work just fine in whatever manufacturer you decide...two other things I notice...which package CTS do you have?...I ask because no fog lights and the 17 inch wheels and tires appear to mean you have the Standard or Luxury version and should have the 3.0 DI engine (no worries about chain stretching) and are you sure you have a limited slip in your driveline?...

Good luck and join the Cadillac Forum to get more information...I have a 2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon with the 3.0 and enjoy it very much

Bill

only if they had that from the factory...it was optional and I'd bet yours don't have them...the one you linked is a different animal...do you have G80 on your RPO/SPID?...if not you don't have a limited slip...

I believe you have the wrong number also for your transfer case fluid...the one you have posted is manual transmission fluid and I think you are looking for this... https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Fluid-88861950-Transfer/dp/B00BK7LZYW

Good luck and enjoy yours...

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
[censored] you're right, 3.0!
Far as the diffs I believe they do require posi additive.
https://www.cadillacforums.com/thre...-09-awd-cts-low-from-the-factory.248682/

the upside is you will not have the issues those with the 3.6 engine have...get used to your car, slide the auto stick over to Manual Mode (to the right) and leave it alone (it will still shift like an Automatic)...your transmission will hold gears longer and will downshift earlier...later you can play with the Competitive Driving Mode...press the StabiliTrak button twice quickly and you should feel a slight extra effort in the steering and be able to extract more fun out of your new car...read the manual first

Enjoy

Bill

I want to thank everyone for replying to this thread. I'm a bit embarrassed for assuming the engine displacement without checking the under hood decal and the presence of clutch packs in an AWD vehicle, which I assumed was a given. Sometimes it's good to get corrected and eat some crow.

The SPID label must have been fell off the spare cover, that is common from what I read on the CTS V owners forum. Will get the information on the diffs tomorrow at the dealer. The Mobil1 LS fluid arrived today, will put it in regardless if a posi or not. Shouldn't matter right?

Will let this thread die unless someone comments on this:

Thanks again!

I don't know if any issues could arise from using a fluid with a Limited Slip additive...hopefully someone more knowledgable will let you know...based on your responses and the photo of your CTS I doubt you'll have the G80/Limited Slip differential...

I see you over on the Cadillac Forum so I'm sure any questions you have on your new to you CTS will be answered...enjoy the ride

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
[censored] you're right, 3.0!
Far as the diffs I believe they do require posi additive.

the upside is you will not have the issues those with the 3.6 engine have...get used to your car, slide the auto stick over to Manual Mode (to the right) and leave it alone (it will still shift like an Automatic)...your transmission will hold gears longer and will downshift earlier...later you can play with the Competitive Driving Mode...press the StabiliTrak button twice quickly and you should feel a slight extra effort in the steering and be able to extract more fun out of your new car...read the manual first

Enjoy

Bill

the 3.6 doesn't have issues if you use a good oil and do short oci's.

I looked for it, only sold in gallons! Thanks for the tip though. Went ahead and bought an equivalent Transtar product for 6 bucks and change. Now everything in the power train and drive train will be synthetic. Am I making a mistake? Guess it will be apparent down the road.

https://www.transtar1.com/MVHV

WRONG FLUID!! Even says so in their website. This fluid is for older pre 2007 transmissions not requiring using Dex 3

.Your car required DEX6 - this is NOT DEX6 rated fluid. You would better off with Supertech Dexron6 than this fluid.

You will notice the power difference between a 3.0 and a 3.6DI - but the little 3.0 still runs decent - I just hate the single exhaust.

Originally Posted by avi1777

the 3.6 doesn't have issues if you use a good oil and do short oci's.

but since anyone buying a CTS generation 2 today is buying something taken care of by someone else for at least 5 years now how will you know that they used good oil and short OCIs?...my point was the OP needn't waste any time on most anything about the 3.6 since he doesn't have that engine...

Bill

Last edited:
Back