Cable Modem question ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Cox Cable for internet, currently I pay $6.xx a month for cable modem Cisco DPQ3212, I have my own Wireless Router. Everything works okay, but I like to buy my own cable modem so that I don't need to pay $6.xx monthly fee.

I can just buy Cisco DPQ3212 from Amazon market place to replace the current one, and return it to Cox Cable to stop the $6.xx monthly fee.

But I like to know if there is a compatible cable modem that will work with Cox Cable infrastructure but at higher speed and/or more reliable.

If you know one please post. TIA

PS There is a thread about cable modem in general topics, but I don't like to interfere with that thread that why I post new question here.

PPS Does Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem compatible with DPQ3212 ?

Last edited:
Cox should have a compatibility listing. Generally you are looking for a certain DOCSIS rating, like DOCSIS 2.0, 3.0, or the newer ones are 3.1. the higher the version number, the higher speed. of course, it all depends on what is currently available from your ISP

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Cox should have a compatibility listing. Generally you are looking for a certain DOCSIS rating, like DOCSIS 2.0, 3.0, or the newer ones are 3.1. the higher the version number, the higher speed. of course, it all depends on what is currently available from your ISP
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I use the Arris/Motorola SB6141 with my Cox internet and it is awesome.

Thank you for suggesting looking at Cox listing of approved modems.

Both Cisco DPC3010 and Arris/Motorola SB6141 are in Cox approved modem listing.

Looking at Amazon I think I can buy one of the approved modem and it paid itself within 6-8 months.

PS I had the current Cox modem for about a year and a half. I have paperless billing and autopayment so I didn't know I paid monthly fee for the modem. Luckily, I read the post from Merkeva about his newly installed cable internet, I then check my bill online and saw that I had been charged $6.xx a month for modem.

Bought a used like new Cisco DPC3010 for $14.xx from a third party seller on Amazon market place, hopefully it works so I don;t have to waste $6.xx a month.

PPS Thank you all for your post/help. I knew that getting help from this board is very easy, as long as I ask for it.

Last edited:
I have the Motorola SB6141 that you list, but I use Comcast. I have 100mbps service, and I can get about 120mbps burst when I go to speedtest.net.

So it will probably handle the speed.

What speed tier is the highest you plan on getting if 100mbits

the motorola 6141, is 8x4 its good to about 100mbit service

the motorola SB6183 is 16x4 and good for upto 300mbit service

those are in real life speeds.

The theoretical speeds posted on the boxes are very optimistic laboratory conditions.

Who can get 100mbit service? I can only get 10 on my DSL. I'm so jealous.

I am looked at going with a local fiber optic company Shentel here in VA and looking at 25 bit service at $100/month. I've been doing a little research and I would buy Arris/Motorola 6141 for $70 at Walmart or $69 on Amazon or $72 at Best Buy. If I had my tax refund I'd probably go for the 6183 at $149 Best Buy or $150 at Amazon.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I use the Arris/Motorola SB6141 with my Cox internet and it is awesome.

I take it back, I have the 6183. It is hooked to a Netgear R8000 router.

Originally Posted By: Rand
What speed tier is the highest you plan on getting if 100mbits

the motorola 6141, is 8x4 its good to about 100mbit service

the motorola SB6183 is 16x4 and good for upto 300mbit service

those are in real life speeds.

The theoretical speeds posted on the boxes are very optimistic laboratory conditions.

Currently I have 5 Mbit for $39/mo with Cox Cable, may go up to 10-20 Mbit in the future if the price is right(no more than $50-60/mo).

The Cisco DPC3010 is 8x4 and probably good for some years.

Have heard great things about the 6141....thinking of going with this to replace my comcast one.

Though someone suggested this router to me....seems kinda old though...

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mbps/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41D87RfchjL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR139%2C160_&refRID=1PRXQ6VER17FEVMKRZ4T

Love my TPLINK DOCSIS 3.0 rock solid stable. I have TWC, check with your provider, they may not offer you the option to not pay that $6 per month, TWC does not charge if you buy your own modem but I know there is a company that charges it no matter what..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Love my TPLINK DOCSIS 3.0 rock solid stable. I have TWC, check with your provider, they may not offer you the option to not pay that $6 per month, TWC does not charge if you buy your own modem but I know there is a company that charges it no matter what..

Thanks.

I had Cox Cable internet for more than 20 years, first with company paid then I paid monthly fee myself few years ago. Back then I had company modem so I didn't pay monthly rental. I moved to a new house a year ago, this time Cox installed new modem and I just found out they charge monthly fee of $6.xx.

If returning their modem and still paying fee I will cancel the internet for few days and sign up using my wife as a new customer without modem rental. May be I will get better rate for new customer.

Update:

The Cisco modem DPC3010 is working well, as well as previous modem DPQ3212 if not better(faster).

I paid $14 shipped for this modem from an Amazon third party seller. This modem will pay for itself in about 2 months.

Thank you all for your suggestion/advice. Have a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back