Cabinet Screwdrivers vs. "Traditional"

Let’s say you use your screwdrivers as intended and only for lower torque applications…so having a hex on the shank is not a factor for me.

Cabinet screwdrivers are obviously a bit more compact at the tip. To me that seems advantageous without a downside. So, is there any reason to still own “traditional” screwdrivers?

You don't need a cabinet screwdriver unless the screw you're trying to access is down inside a bore and the regular keystone tip is too wide. A good example of that is the little screw on the side of a 5 gallon propane tank valve. Most people just use a regular screwdriver that's too small for the slot and take a chance on ruining the slot. The little screw needs a 5/16 cabinet tip.

Last edited:
You don't need a cabinet screwdriver unless the screw you're trying to access is down inside a bore and the regular keystone tip is too wide.
For some reason, that is about 50% of the screws I encounter.

Is there any downside to using cabinet screwdrivers exclusively?

THIS is the screwdriver I intend to get for the propane tanks. For some reason it's not available without an insulated shank.

When it comes to prying with a screwdriver a Keystone tip is a start. Several seconds with a grinder and it’s pretty good.

I try to use a flat blade that has the tightest fit with the screw and engages the most metal from the center of the screw, so I don’t shred the head.

Is this for automotive work or around the house?

I’m not aware, maybe it’s me, that there are cabinet Phillips vs other type shafts.

For slotted screwdrivers, sure, but the number of slotted screws I see on a car is around zero, on OPE is just carbs, and around my ca. 1923 home is just original hardware on hinges, locks, etc.

I get it if a fastener is down in a bore, but most are Phillips and I just grab the first round shaft driver (PB Swiss or Wiha) I find. Most HD stuff gets other drivers or an impact gun.

Back