Cabin Living And A Secluded Lifestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've about decided that I could build myself a small cabin with basic amenities and live cut off from society for the most part. Generator for power, incinerator toilet for nature calls, wood heater for warmth, propane for cooking. I can stream television on my phone. Seems like it would work. Could figure out a water filtering system to reuse shower and dishwashing water, and heat said water with propane. I don't know...just musing.

Just catch rainwater... it is done all over the world.

I feel like any cabin you still get cell service in to stream TV is not all that cut off from society.

Internet isn't social interaction, IMO. Living in isolation is another matter. Not saying it's good or bad, but an important factor to consider. And sometimes what looks good in the short term doesn't turn out as well in the long term.

I agree with DuckRyder.

Your not very far off the grid if your streaming on a cell phone.

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time, brother is the same way.

Consider well water.. works like a champ and you can get multiple wells dug if you need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Red91
I've about decided that I could build myself a small cabin with basic amenities and live cut off from society for the most part. Generator for power, incinerator toilet for nature calls, wood heater for warmth, propane for cooking. I can stream television on my phone. Seems like it would work. Could figure out a water filtering system to reuse shower and dishwashing water, and heat said water with propane. I don't know...just musing.

It will cost you 50 cents per KW with your own generator, And a 5 gallon can of gas gets you only 25kw. Good luck with your project!

Henry David Thoreau and RW Emerson been and done that.

No TV.

Internet is taken care of with the phone. I'll have a job, have to. A wife and kids just isn't going to happen for me, and its no longer an issue of self esteem, rather an issue of knowing I'm a misfit even among misfits, and I'm better off alone. I'll keep base with my family. I don't put a lot of value into social interaction.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Do you place any value on social interaction?

Who needs it with the interwebs? You going offline too?

What does his wife think about being a hermit ?

I would have a normal electricity source and a well for water. I don't see it as practical to continuously put gas in a generator. The solar panel idea above is good if you don't want to rely on the grid.

I think it would be nice for a while. I could go outside and sing, talk to myself without anyone thinking I'm crazy.

If you're still going to want electricity, internet, and running water, why live in a cabin? It'd be cheaper to be a recluse in town. Don't give up on a wife and kids if you want them. There are plenty of misfit women out there.

Solar panels , batteries and invertor coupled to efficient lighting works well. Use well water otherwise a nasty challenge.

Do you have any money cash for this hovel and land. No bank will lend you money for this.

Please see a professional if you get upset with society. Ted Kaczynski lived a similar situation except did bad things...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Theres lots of single women out there...

And 99% are single because someone already got sick of their craziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back