Cabin Filter Change

I just changed my cabin air filter at 35,000 miles on my 2018 Encore. It looks kind of rough. The manual said to change it at 30,000 miles but I wasn't concerned since the filters on my previous vehicles have been mostly clean at that point. Glad I looked.
Screenshot_20201221-132554_Gallery.jpg

I shake and vacuum also. I mainly check once or twice around the time mice start to look for winter nesting places (Sept/Oct). I buy good but not the best. Cars did not have them for decades. My 2015 pickup does not have one.

As long as I have airflow, I never change them.

Last time I even checked, 2002 Continental at 92k miles, the filter was filthy, covered in old leaves. Did it’s job. Still had good a/c and heat airflow.
Shook most of the crud out. Vacuumed, then replaced.

As long as I have airflow, I don’t bother checking.

I just changed my cabin air filter at 35,000 miles on my 2018 Encore. It looks kind of rough. The manual said to change it at 30,000 miles but I wasn't concerned since the filters on my previous vehicles have been mostly clean at that point. Glad I looked.View attachment 37664

The "dirty"one is a charcoal filter. The new one you got isn't. The only dirt i can see is a leaf and some seeds?

Reactions: pbm
I think it is charcoal. Still filthy though. You can see the dirt in the top left corner and around the leaves as well as the left center. The original charcoal appearance can be seen around the first pleat from the right.

i've seen a lot worse really. It's just that i wasn't sure you realised it was a charcoal filter as some aren't aware and think it's dirty when brand new. especially if the replacement isn't charcoal

the best is to see them side by side with the new (same brand/type is a better comparison)...I've always thought this was something as even when I thought my filter was not too bad then looked at the new one right next to it I've never thought, I'll wait to replace this...YMMV

I guess it all depends on where you live? My owners manual calls for the cabin filter in my Tundra to be changed every 30,000. I changed it at 45,000 instead and you could barely tell the difference between it and the new one.

Back