Cabin filter airflow direction question

Some cabin filter containment boxes will only fit correctly in one direction. Unfortunately many think it does not matter and will install them in anyway not realizing they are not actually sealing as designed. Or assuming what the arrow means regarding installation.

So yes and arrow may be indicating to top of the filter and not the airflow. Another example of redesign the installation instructions .
Yep … last one I put in was airflow down …

just did the Tahoe w/ Fram CA … with letters at correct orientation … it showed airflow down (perfect)

I changed the cabin air filter on my Jetta wagon yesterday. I am embarrassed by how it looked. For some inexcusable reason, I also went too far on the engine oil filter. I promise to do better in the future.

IMG_7028.JPG

If it's a simple paper filter it really doesn't matter, unless the construction is one-sided, ie multiple types of media progressing from coarse to finer.

Even charcoal may not matter much if the outer layers are the same type of element.

When you get into the fancy 5-layer antimicrobial filters...where the construction dictates airflow direction, then direction matters

The arrow is supposed to show airflow direction. So the arrow should point towards the air exit, right?

2012 Corolla Cabin Air Filter
OE Toyota original Cabin filters are the only ones the have the filter with the arrow pointed upwards every other aftermarket CF's should have the arrow pointing downwards which would be the air flow direction, and it does matter having the arrow in the correct position

If it's a simple paper filter it really doesn't matter, unless the construction is one-sided, ie multiple types of media progressing from coarse to finer.

Even charcoal may not matter much if the outer layers are the same type of element.

When you get into the fancy 5-layer antimicrobial filters...where the construction dictates airflow direction, then direction matters
They can make noise when installed upside down. Saw this many times at Acura.

Because people tends to have selective sights, hearing due to past experiences and just focus on the picture without looking at wording around it :ROFLMAO:
That's because eveyone is an expert at everything having to do with a vehicle. Until something goes wrong and then they go to those that actually know things...

Or the one very repeated and common phrase I got ( Iam sure a few in the business as well) so often over the years... "It was like that when I bought the car".. ROLMAO

The cabin filter in my SS is vertical, not horizontal. Arrow has to be airflow I assume..there is no “up”!
I love when people assume. In aftermarket parts there are common oil filter adapters to do various things, like relocate a oil filter or add an inline oil cooler, ect., most have arrows. The "assumption" being the direction of flow of the oil. I would NOT want to trust a simple arrow and read the installation instructions printed from the manufacture of those adapters before "assuming" anything.

Another one that makes me laugh when people "assume" things without reading the instructions. HEAD GADKIST. the word TOP is often on many so are you going to assume top means the word TOP is facing up or that TOP means place the gasket on the block side?

Ya those **** instructions on parts who needs them we all know how things are suppose to be , right? LOL So lets just "ASSUME" and see how it all works out! :ROFLMAO:

Back