Cabin air flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 02 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and the cabin air flow is really bad. It doesn't have a cabin air filter to change that I'm aware of so my only option is to clean (blow out/wash out) the heater core. Has anyone done this on this car? Is it even possible without completely dismantling the dash? I took the passenger side hood vent (the piece of plastic that covers the area between the windshield and the firewall) off and checked out the blower fan and it was fine, dirty but fine. I couldn't see the heater core through the duct, can it be accessed through the driver’s side hood vent? The air blow's hot and cold, but not with the force it did 150k ago. What to do, what to do?

Make sure you check the cabin "exhaust vents" at the rear end of the car. Most cars have these, many times they are located in the trunk or near the rear wheel wells (you may see a vent duct on the inside of the rear door frame). If they are clogged with debris you will get lots of condensation inside the windows on damp cold or rainly days.

Last edited:
You could simply open the door to check if the flow increases [quick outlet vent check].
Your fan may have lint or leaves on the squirrel cage fan blades.
Of course, the air inlet under the hood have to be free of leaves and deris.

The air intake is free of debris, there are no leaves or anything in the squirrel cage fan. The exhaust vents are clean. The fan runs at all five speeds, I can see it change speed when she turns the knob. I think the coils are full of [censored], I just can't see them to verify. But now that I think of it, I might be able to snake a vacuum hose past the fan or remove the fan and try to suck out the coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back