Cabin Air Filters (the forgotten filter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first car with a cabin filter was a 2000 Saab 9-5. I bought it used the end of 2002 with 50K mi. The charcoal cabin filter was really dirty and overdue. After that I changed it every 25K mi (about 2 yrs) and that seemed just about right.

On my 2004 Honda CR-V I bought new, I changed it initially after 2yrs and 45,000 mi. It was dirty but not as bad as the Saab with 50K. I think 30-40K mi is about right for the Honda.

I have a 2008 Prius with 18K. I'll change that out when I hit 25K (this summer) and report back.

As for air filters, I change those every 10K-15K mi. I think manufacurers have it reverse, they are too agressive with Cabin filters and to laid-back with air filters.

I read this thread today, and realized I didn't change out my cabin filters yet. This was the first time I changed it on my cadillac and the GM filter is wierd. It has a cloth/cotton fram and you bend the filter at the 2/3 mark after putting it into the top slot and tuck the other, shorter end down under the top slopt so the pleat form a lopsided "V" with the pointy end into the engine compartment.

I try to hit the recirulate mode whenever I drive through a heavy dust area. I just change mine using the owners manual recomendations which is ~ 30,000 miles. Never noticed a change in air volume so it must not be restricting much at 30K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back