Cabin Air Filter Recommendation

OK, is there really any differences between brands/quality of cabin air filters?
Are there any to avoid?

Usually I just remove the CAF and tap out the debris(clean with vacuum &/or air) and reinstall.
I want to replace the CAF in my Altima as it has now torn, and CarQuest has one ($8.99) which is le$$ expensive for my app than Walmart or Amazon brands(or any other site I've searched). Plus I have a $10 AAP GC to use.

Most/all basic CAFs that I've seen, all look alike regardless of brand. The higher end CAFs really don't look much better. Maybe a tiny bit different in the filter media.

I mean, the OE CAF in my Altima looks like overpriced junk even when is was new. As do most IMO. I just don't think they're a great quality part for their price.

So, is there anything special in these filters or can I just buy the cheapest?

Thanks,

CB

Last edited:
I would go with whatever is on sale and change/clean it regularly. Man, do I wish the one in my Versa was easier to get at. A real pain.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Are cabin air filters really necessary???????????????

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
I would go with whatever is on sale and change/clean it regularly. Man, do I wish the one in my Versa was easier to get at. A real pain.

Yeah, mine is behind the center console. Not real difficult but, could have been easier. My daughter's previous '06 Mazda3 was a real *@(%!.
Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Whatever Rockauto has on special, usually Denso or AC Delco, etc. about $4 or so.

Buy a few to cover shipping.

Still the shipping to my address puts them over what I can buy locally. The cheapest RockAuto CAF is $3.20+$6.99 to ship. 2 would be $6.40+$8.99 to ship. Doesn't work for my ZipCode. I think I'll just use my AAP GC.

Last edited:
I've used OEM Hyundai, Fram, and Purolator filters and haven't really noticed a difference so I'd go with whatever suits your wallet.

Fortunately the Sonata's filter is easy to change. It took me longer to find that picture I posted than it does to change it, which, coincidentally, I did on Tuesday.

Originally Posted by opus1

[Linked Image]

I see your point,,,,looks like one could tape off that hole where the cabin air filter goes,,,then no debris would enter our cars....

Char Baby, I'm in the camp of buying the cheapest. It's not like an engine filter regarding importance.

Advance Auto shows three premium CarQuest models for my Patriot, 2 above $25 and one at $13. I ordered the cheaper one with coupon for $10.40(#90179C). It appears to have the charcoal embedded and it is U.S. made! The Wix model is too large and fits poorly for me.

Excellent filter: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w...true&contentid=C30183&isFitted=1

Rock Auto and other places were similarly priced or more with shipping.

Originally Posted by opus1

[Linked Image]

I see your point,,,,looks like one could tape off that hole where the cabin air filter goes,,,then no debris would enter our cars....

In the Sonata, the filter sits right above the blower so the filter is preventing this stuff from getting ground up and dispersed through the vents.

And I have to point out that this filter came from my car before it was damaged in a hail storm - the original cowl had 2" slots that were allowed a lot of this garbage to get sucked in. The replacement cowl has small squares to let in the air and the volume of garbage getting sucked in and being caught by the filter has decreased.

I have noticed that some brands let more air through than others. I can't remember the name brands right now, but one brand made my A/C blow rather weakly, it still worked OK, just less air (and less noise).
The brand I replaced it with after a year in service allowed much more air through. I remember holding it up to the light and it letting a little light through the media. I was concerned at first, but since I change annually, it worked out well.

Both brands had the activated charcoal, so it wasn't just that making the difference.

I wondered that as well years ago . When you see the dirt and crud stopped by the cabin filters they seem like a great idea but that in just my opinion.

Just an idea, buy the cheapest fiberglass home furnace filter you can find (under $2 at walmart or home depot). cut out a section that is the same size as your cabin air filter and tape it over the intake side of a new filter. 6 months later take out the filter and put on a new "prefilter". I'm guessing the cabin filter will last a few years .... maybe not.

I bought the CarQuest CAF in store. And since I couldn't use my $10 AAP GC online, the parts guy gave me 20% off at the register. $7.77 after tax. Not bad.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I bought the CarQuest CAF in store. And since I couldn't use my $10 AAP GC online, the parts guy gave me 20% off at the register. $7.77 after tax. Not bad.

In addition, this CarQuest CAF doesn't look to be any better/worse/different than the OE that it's replacing. I've removed the OE on several occassions(annually) just to tap clean/vacuum & reinstall. But, now it was time for a replacement as the bindings that hold the media(like a book binding) are coming unglued. So much for OE!

It amazes me, what a POS product that most cabin air filter are. Costing as much(at their full price) as an engine air filter. When in fact the CAF is a mediocre product at best for what? ~$20.

And the engine AF is made of a thick cottony type of media, housed in sturdy plastic frame and often supported with a wire mesh...for what? ~$20

Yes, we can spend more on either.

Last edited:
Earlier this year I replaced one in the Matrix with a Supertech filter from Walmart. It looked just as good as the previous oem and Fram Fresh Breeze. It was 10.99 so not too bad. While at it the engine air filter was also replaced with a ST filter also for 10.99. Fit was super tight on that one. Not bad for 22 total.

Back