Cabin air filter for allergy

I often see videos on YT about oil filters, air filters but not about cabin filters.
So I was wondering which cabin air filter would you guys recommend for Europe users? Because we have here brands like Bosch, Mann, Mehle, Mahle etc.
Thanks in advance.

I use almost any brand that has charcoal filtration instead of just plain media. Lots of Asian brands to choose from there. Changing a cabin air filter has to be one of the biggest money makers for car dealerships.

If you have really bad allergies, they do make HEPA filters, but they drastically reduce airflow, so they're only worth if if you have a severe allergy. The Purflux green filter AHH is a HEPA filter.

Otherwise, Mahle/Knecht Caremetix (part number starting with LAO- ), Mann Frecious Plus (FP- ), or Hengst ( -LB)

If your seasonal allergies are a problem in the car with current offerings skip the charcoal varieties. Cabin filters impregnated with some of the many of allergy medications hawked on US tv commercials would be a nifty idea. Maybe get a generic filter and do it yourself. Imagine marketing that as a seasonal product. Don't forget to file a patent.

allergies.jpg

courtesy Foothills Regional MedCen

I use almost any brand that has charcoal filtration instead of just plain media. Lots of Asian brands to choose from there. Changing a cabin air filter has to be one of the biggest money makers for car dealerships.
Activated charcoal is only going to remove odors. It doesn’t mean it has superior filtration for things like allergens spores.

Activated charcoal is only going to remove odors. It doesn’t mean it has superior filtration for things like allergens spores.
People are allergic to dust, pollen and pet hair. Every charcoal filter I've seen has much denser media than the basic paper media kind, and I believe better filtration due to the weight of the media. I'm not saying charcoal is a hepa filter, just better than the basic ones.

I often see videos on YT about oil filters, air filters but not about cabin filters.
So I was wondering which cabin air filter would you guys recommend for Europe users? Because we have here brands like Bosch, Mann, Mehle, Mahle etc.
Thanks in advance.
There are videos on cabin filters on youtube. From Europe even! One could question the testing protocols, but he made a good effort.

I have heard anecdotal discussions about this but never seen the data. I have an open mind on the topic. Does anyone have real evidence?
I have the best kind of evidence I used one once.
noticeable severe reduction in air flow... when it was brand new. Yes I am implying if I were to use it for 12months it would get worse.. and that is an assumption. I replaced it after a couple weeks.

I have the best kind of evidence I used one once.
noticeable severe reduction in air flow... when it was brand new. Yes I am implying if I were to use it for 12months it would get worse.. and that is an assumption. I replaced it after a couple weeks.
I think they redesigned them and now the media is thinner. I got one for less than $10 that I'm gonna try in July when it is time to change mine. If it sucks, I only lost $10 and I got TYC lying around.

Thanks in advance.
Any of the major German brands are fine... Usually used Mann though on ,my VW's

True to an extent, but in my case I can understand the charge on their part. The way Nissan designed the cabin filter placement requires the entire glovebox assembly to be removed from the dash, not just pop it out as most tend to do. It is time consuming to remove the entire thing, change the filter (in seconds) then realign/tighten it all down. I have found a quick way to offset that though, requiring me to lay contorted in the floorboard area where I'm just barely able to reach that area with one hand. All said/done it takes maybe 5 mins, but can understand why some do rely on dealerships/independent shops for that sort of thing as some designs are a bit annoying for what it is.

Thanks in advance.

You have access to some great filters that shouldn't affect airflow.

For some reason, North America doesn't get the good stuff that Europe and Asia gets.

Mann FreciousPlus would be my pick but I'm sure the offerings from the other brands are good too.

Some marketing:
The MANN-FILTER FreciousPlus 2 is particularly characterized by its comprehensive performance range throughout the entire maintenance interval. It additionally features ultra-fine nanofibers, which are around 100 times thinner than the fibers of conventional filter fleeces. Like a spider's web, these fibers cover the underlying filtration layers consisting of coarser fibers, allowing them to trap ultra-fine particles. This results in significantly enhanced performance of the new filters compared to the previous filter model. This means that, in addition to the PM10 and PM2.5 particle classes, the FreciousPlus 2 is able to filter out up to 90 percent of the even finer, class PM1 particles, i.e. particles with an aerodynamic diameter of less than 1 micrometer (0.0001 cm). FreciousPlus 2 also removes up to 80 percent of ultra-fine particles (UFP), which are smaller than 0.1 micrometers, reaching maximum values. By way of comparison: These extremely tiny particles are roughly 700 times smaller than the width of a human hair. Our lungs are exposed to the ultra-fine particles. If these particles are breathed in, they can enter into the lungs, where a significant proportion of them can penetrate deeply into the cell membranes of the pulmonary alveoli. From here, they can enter into the bloodstream, penetrating into the cardiovascular system and may also spread into other organs.

Highly effective NO2-blocker
The enhanced FreciousPlus 2 also significantly outperforms the predecessor model in the reduction of harmful gases and odors: Nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide and ozone are trapped more effectively. Particularly with regard to harmful NO2, we can now speak of almost complete separation. Compared to the predecessor model, the new FreciousPlus 2 absorbs more than 200 times as much ammonia and also protects from volatile organic compounds such as formaldehyde, which can be released by vehicle passenger compartment materials. The new FreciousPlus 2 filters allergy-triggering substances, so-called allergens, as well as bacteria and mold to the same very high degree as the first generation. It binds allergens almost completely and prevents bacteria and mold from penetrating into the vehicle passenger compartment through the ventilation system.

----------------------------------------------------

Those with Euro cars in the US and Canada should check out the Corteco Micronair filters sold by FCPEuro. Lifetime exchange through their warranty program and airflow is great

Filtrex1.png

Filtrex2.png

Last edited:
I have heard anecdotal discussions about this but never seen the data. I have an open mind on the topic. Does anyone have real evidence?
Same here. I'm using a Bosch HEPA filter in my car right now and I couldn't tell any difference from new-condition non-HEPA filters that I ran prior. I actually felt like the ones with charcoal decreased flow, but not the HEPA.

Check out reviews on the Bosch HEPA filters. A lot of them mention the reduction in airflow that went away when it was replaced with something else.
This was my experience, I broke my own rule against all things Bosch and paid for it. Because, it caused mold in the CX-5 system due to lack of airflow. Only OEM from now on, in all vehicles.

Back