Bypass filter on compact tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking of putting a bypass filter on my Cub Cadet 7532. It has a 3 cylinder tubocharged Mitsubishi diesel. I'd like this tractor to last a long time. I'd like to hear your opinions of this. Will it help the engine last longer? Is it worth the money?

Any engine with a turbo should benefit from cleaner oil. Do you make the engine work hard often? Do you run in a dusty environment (such as mowing or dirt work)? These conditions also made adding a bypass filter more valuable.

If the engine has a spin on oil filter it would be a good candidate for a Perma-Cool sandwich adapter. They work very well with a TP submicronic bypass oil filter. The adapter is a two port sandwich adapter. You are not taking oil pressure off the engine. The universal 180 sandwich adapter will fit most of them. I get my sandwich adapters from www.jegs.com.

Ralph
burnout.gif

I think turbo, diesel, and tractor say extra filtering

Turbo - more heat, better chance of cooking the oil

Diesel - soot

tractor - Not being used on the highway, but in the yard, in possible dirty conditions. Dirt is bad in oil, get it out.

The thing to remember when dealing with soot is you need submicronic filtration. Where I have seen cooking of the oil is a combination of a poor cooling system in heavy traffic with the air conditioning on. That's normally not a problem with tractors. Mostly what happens to oil is it just gets dirty because of poor filtration or poor maintenance of a filter that does clean oil. There are no magic filters that can clean oil and not need to be changed often. I have one customer that hasn't changed the Motor Guard or the oil on his Kubota for a couple of years. The oil is still clear he says. He probably puts about the same hours in a year that some do on a truck in a couple of days.

Ralph
burnout.gif

I have had a Motorguard on my Kubota diesel for over 400 hours now with excellent results. The most recent UOA came back excellent, but is is due for another. Very low soot/solids as well as wear metals.
I mounted mine as Ralph states above with a PermaCool sandwich adapter, though mine had to be the "universal" model, but I don't recall what the difference was that required its use. After more than 400 hours I can still see through the oil on my dipstick, which before the bypass filter the oil would be jet black after just a few hours.
I feel the same as you with making equipment last, so in addition to engine oil bypass filtration I installed a Motorguard fuel filter, and a 3 micron full flow hydraulic filter (Donaldson). The Donaldson filter is huge to achieve 3 micron absolute filtration at 7 gallons per minute.

I have had some troubles with the Perma-Cool 181 Ford 3/4"-16 threads adapter having enough reach for some Japanese engines. The nipple on the filter mount is too short. the universal 189 adapter has more reach for the Chevy adapter plate which you don't use. I used the 181 adapter on my Nissan because I didn't have a 189 at the time. It is only holding by a couple of threads. On the diesel the nipple isn't removable so I couldn't make a new longer nipple for it. The Camry was too short but it was removable. For some reason I thought the Kubotas were 3/4-16 threads but one guy told me his was metric. With the universal it doesn't matter except the universal will take a 3/4-16 thread filter. He said his oil is still clear. I think his is a little yard tractor. I like the white element for fuel. You can tell what the filter is doing.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Now that you mention it, it was the thread length of the 181 that was incompatible. My Kubota has 3/4x16 threads but I had to use the PermaCool Universal sandwich plate. The only disadvantage is that the filter sticks out an additional 2" because of the thickness of the plate. I could find a shorter full flow filter, but it's not a functional issue. The nice thing about installing Motorguards on a tractor is that there are a lot of mounting options. (and of course, they look cool).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back