Buying oil on price - Pricing Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno--seems like a lot of driving around & time spent saving the last few dollars. If that floats your boat then so be it.

Oil is my primary reason to shop at WM, although I might just start using Supertech and avoid any mail in rebates. Might not be cheapest nor best, but good enough for time spent is, well, good enough in my book. No stocking oil at home either. [Plan to keep buying bulk filters online though.] Now if I were to boycott WM, well I'm not sure where I'd go, as I'm not sure Amazon is any better. Most parts stores seem to be just high priced by comparison.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I get a kick out of going to WM.I enjoy walking around seeing what is new.The people don't bother me.Just people.
I will not support Amazon because they have taken too many jobs away.
At least WM hires folks locally.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that one is less evil than the other. Amazon hires people locally, too. Have you seen their warehouses?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that they're evil. It's a capitalist society. They all exist to make a profit for their shareholders.

As a shareholder, I've found it very profitable. I don't have a problem shopping either. Amazon accounts for about 2.72% of the S&P 500 and Walmart has about .55%.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that I have fooled myself into thinking that they're evil. I was just making a point.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Don't fool yourself into thinking that one is less evil than the other. Amazon hires people locally, too. Have you seen their warehouses?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that they're evil. It's a capitalist society. They all exist to make a profit for their shareholders.

As a shareholder, I've found it very profitable. I don't have a problem shopping either. Amazon accounts for about 2.72% of the S&P 500 and Walmart has about .55%.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that I have fooled myself into thinking that they're evil. I was just making a point.
grin.gif

Well I'm glad there's no fools on this board.

Originally Posted By: supton
I dunno--seems like a lot of driving around & time spent saving the last few dollars. If that floats your boat then so be it.

Oil is my primary reason to shop at WM, although I might just start using Supertech and avoid any mail in rebates. Might not be cheapest nor best, but good enough for time spent is, well, good enough in my book. No stocking oil at home either. [Plan to keep buying bulk filters online though.] Now if I were to boycott WM, well I'm not sure where I'd go, as I'm not sure Amazon is any better. Most parts stores seem to be just high priced by comparison.

Except that I didnt drive around anyplace out of where I would have been going for other errands. There are two walmarts within 2 miles of me, each with a pretty disctinct set of other stores.

Originally Posted By: spackard

They currently are competing online with online, but, are encouraging you to
pick up in store so as to get you in there and maybe buy something else.
The pick up in store, at times, is a great experience.
Once, the system shipped an iPad cover across the country, to honor
a 80% clearance price. I walked in during Christmas rush and walked back
out in about 8 minutes.

> Why pray tell would I buy from WM.com on a price match to HD.com when I could go straight into the HD store and pick it up off their shelves for that price, have short lines and a cleaner store and parking lot?

Maybe your HD has short lines and a cleaner store, but for years their stores had been
complete dumps. I've heard a few years ago the new CEO was changing things.
Apparently, along with cleaner stores, the 98%/99% off deals went away also.

A few years ago WM had very easy price-matching, Ad-Match, and even had a website
where you could enter your receipt after purchase, Savings Catcher, and they'd auto price-match
all the items you bought with the lowest-price items in competing stores
and refund you the difference.

Ad Match went away.
Savings Catcher changed the way they refund the money.
You should still check your receipt with Savings Catcher.
http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/706/~/savings-catcher
https://savingscatcher.walmart.com/

Other than late morning on nice Saturdays, HD is not as busy. WM can have slow times, but its often packed.

The HD stores around me are just fine - clean, well kept, decent parking lots, far shorter lines.

But HD wasnt a listed vendor for the PP $10 rebate...

Thanks for the savingscatcher link. Notionally it would have caught HD.com and given me the price. But not the even better price I got on the shelf at Pep Boys, because their online price was WAY high...

Which was exactly the crux of the problem that started all this - Id rather spend a little time pre-shopping price at home, and certainly dont want to make special trips all over the countryside. But if the stores dont list accurate prices, its hard to pre-shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back