buying a car for over MSRP

The latest problem with the Odessey was an alternator and battery. Those with an oil change were a little over $900. Sounds high to me.

I have suggested a Subaru Ascent as an alternative to a Telluride.
The Subaru Ascent was a big gross POS. The test drive was surprising. Cheap cheap cheap and the drivetrain is completely underwhelming. The Telluride, Palisade, and Atlas are in a different league completely.

IMO now is a great time to buy if you can get a new car at or below MSRP. She will get a high offer for her trade in, but that's no reason to get taken to the cleaners on the new car.

Paying over MSRP will have less of a sting if the trade-in offer on the Odyssey is commensurate with the crazy times out there.
I received $9k trade-in value for my Subaru back in March. It would now fetch $10.5 to $11k in trade.

MSRP is just a number made up by the car manufacturer. Dealers are free to sell the vehicle for the highest price they can get. If there is a lineup of people waiting for these vehicles they have to be prepared to pay. Perhaps the manufacturers need to jack up the MSRP. Problem solved.

I would fix the Oddysey. An alternator failure is not a good reason to condemn a car.

Not having a car payment is a good thing during times of inflated prices.

Hold on, accumulate some cash, when prices normalize, then move on a new car.

I say this as someone who just bought a car at an inflated price. But I got exactly* what I wanted, when I wanted it, and I paid cash.

*It is a birthday present for my wife. A very specific, and special, car. I know I overpaid. I don’t care. It’s a big birthday, and it’s only going to happen once.

Last edited:
My daughter is having problems with her Honda Odyssey and is looking at a new Kia Telluride. A $40K+ car to start. But good reviews. The dealers she has talked to want $4K over MSRP some even more for a upgrade trim model.

So say in 2022 things get more normal and cars are once again selling for MSRP or below. When you try and determine a price on the 2021 she bought paying over MSRP will that extra she paid come into play when determining the price of the car or just money lost?

I am thinking its money lost as a person would say when buy a year old Telluride that is now $10K less than the person paid for it when for a little more I can get a new 2022 one.

I am making up some numbers here as an example, but as long as the car prices go back to MSRP or below in a year or two I think the extra paid on top of MSRP right now is money lost.
What year is the Oddity? Have you repaired it yet? $900 sound too pricey.
On the Tell, Never pay over MSRP unless its a very special car. This is a commodity vehicle.
Does she still have tons of kids to haul around? AWD would surely be a nice benefit in NY state,
I would stay away from new subaru; they appear to have really messed them up. And my wife is a Subaru gal.

Maybe check out a 2 year old, low mileage off lease Honda Passport for around 30K. you get the 3.5L V motor.

honda passport my2021.jpg

Go look for an Ascent and let us know what the pricing is on that... Hint: They likely aren't going to have a single one on the lot right now, all will be "in transit", and likely sold before they get to the dealer.

What effect do you think that has on pricing?

(And as others have pointed to, its an underwhelming vehicle - you will want to test drive it. We did and bought something else).

If you want it now, you are going to pay. And do you think the MSRP will stay the same or will it go up from here... Tellurides have been basically MSRP+ since they came out... If dead set on that, go look at a Palisade.

It’s money lost unless there is a sudden shortage of these cars and the used prices skyrocket. When the Telluride/Palisade came out there were issues supplying and huge markups on these. I’d personally do the repairs on the existing vehicle and wait until the market cools down in a year or so. $900 is statistically less than two payments on a new car in America now.

What year is the Oddity? Have you repaired it yet? $900 sound too pricey.
On the Tell, Never pay over MSRP unless its a very special car. This is a commodity vehicle.
Does she still have tons of kids to haul around? AWD would surely be a nice benefit in NY state,
I would stay away from new subaru; they appear to have really messed them up. And my wife is a Subaru gal.

Maybe check out a 2 year old, low mileage off lease Honda Passport for around 30K. you get the 3.5L V motor.

View attachment 75594
She is in CT but close enough. A 5 & 7 year old to haul around.

I think she has lost confidence in her Odyssey. The car is all fixed now.

Prior to the current situation-most Tellurides were selling at MSRP-but not over. Again-if she can fix her current vehicle and wait 12 to 18 months she will be better off. If you fix it for $2,000.00 and wait a year she will still be ahead $2,000.00 (If they are selling them for $4,000.00 over). It's an absolutely terrible time to buy a vehicle new or used.
But why would anyone in their right mind want a Telluride?

They literally are the 2021 PT Cruzer , in 5 years it will be just another ugly smegbox with front end issues

You could literally buy anything else and likely do better.

Last edited:

They literally are the 2021 PT Cruzer , in 5 years it will be just another ugly smegbox with front end issues
I don't get the appeal, or the mania, other than they distantly resemble what might be the lovechild of the Explorer and the Bentayga. But I challenge you to drive to or from work in Dallas without seeing two or three. Folks around here must be fighting over them as they come off the trucks.

My daughter is having problems with her Honda Odyssey and is looking at a new Kia Telluride. A $40K+ car to start. But good reviews. The dealers she has talked to want $4K over MSRP some even more for a upgrade trim model.

So say in 2022 things get more normal and cars are once again selling for MSRP or below. When you try and determine a price on the 2021 she bought paying over MSRP will that extra she paid come into play when determining the price of the car or just money lost?

I am thinking its money lost as a person would say when buy a year old Telluride that is now $10K less than the person paid for it when for a little more I can get a new 2022 one.

I am making up some numbers here as an example, but as long as the car prices go back to MSRP or below in a year or two I think the extra paid on top of MSRP right now is money lost.

Its money lost by her and found by the dealer.
The overage will never reflect on the used value 5 years from now.

You could literally buy anything else and likely do better.
OK-would like you to list an example and how the MSRP's compare with similar equipment.

Also-do you have an engineering background where you know something about a "weakness" in the front ends of the Tellurides?

OR-more likely just spewing nonsense?

Last edited:
OK-would like you to list an example and how the MSRP's compare with similar equipment.
So I need to limit to only vehicles that have front end and drivetrain problems, poor fit up , electrical faults, a large look outside but very little useable space inside and a bad ride?

That’s a long list.

You must be much more astute than Consumers Report magazine, KBB, Edmunds, etc.

Just calling a spade a spade, Kia seems to have plenty of problems and overpriced parts but the extreme fanboys give them a pass even though they have about the same quality as an aging Jeep Renegade

50D5794A-5729-4C40-9EA8-99571770D27A.jpeg

Back