Buy a new washing machine or no?

The lid on our current 3 year old Whirlpool is broken, the only way to fix is a new lid. Close to $300. Washer works great otherwise. Should I replace lid for $300 or buy a new washer for $725 (currently on sale for 15% off). The issue with the lid is, it doesn’t close properly due to a broken hinge and if it’s not just right the washer won’t run. Eventually the lid will split down the side and we won’t be able to use washer. No telling how long that will be. It appears to be a common issue, resolved by new hinge design on new models.

3 years seems to be the lifespan of washers these days. At least my last two. One dead computer and one failed transmission bearing. Repairs to each about half the price of a new machine. Moral to the story is no more top of the line washers until they can do better. My new motto is buy new and cheap. They appear to be disposable appliances now.

Epoxy. I'd call around and see if you can get ahold of an appliance specific business. Sometimes they get trade-ins and will sell the parts off of a pre-owned appliance.
Not sure how epoxy differs from super glue. That’s what I’ve been using and it holds for about a week before the lid splits it’s side open again from the pressure of the spring (hinge is spring loaded and under high tension).

Can you weld the lid to fix it? You could do a lot of fabrication for $300…

Just my $0.02
The lid is glass with a plastic frame. The spring loaded hinge is only an inch and a half long and is under high tension that goes in between the top and bottom half of the plastic frame. It splits the frame open then the lid won’t close properly. Nothing in this case to weld. Super glue works, for a few weeks. Then it splits open again.

Not sure how epoxy differs from super glue. That’s what I’ve been using and it holds for about a week before the lid splits it’s side open again from the pressure of the spring (hinge is spring loaded and under high tension).
You try JB weld?

I’m done buying Whirlpool made washing machines. If you were to get the lid fixed, the direct drive system isn’t far from going out.
I would get rid of it and buy a traditional top loader from GE.
Thank you for the suggestion. I think we are pretty comfortable with Whirlpool appliances on the whole. They seem to have the best reviews and other than this issue and a broken drive belt on our washing machine, all our Whirlpool appliances have been great.

Is there something inferior about their drive system?

I like the idea of exploring if the lid could be repaired.
You could also do some searching locally for the same model used with a good lid for parts.
Otherwise, I would probably order a new lid (after searching for the best price.)
Prices on appliances are high die to supply chain issues, and you probably would get the rest of the usable life out of the washer with a lid replacement.
I would post over on applianceblog.com. The repair people over there are great, and have provided me with valuable information over the years.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion. I think we are pretty comfortable with Whirlpool appliances on the whole. They seem to have the best reviews and other than this issue and a broken drive belt on our washing machine, all our Whirlpool appliances have been great.

They are basically all junk .
The advantage of Whirlpool is that their part distribution network is well sorted and parts are readily available.
That can't always be said for Samsung, LG, and some of the others.
I had my Whirlpool freezer go out a couple of weeks ago, and the repairman had the part in his hand in < than 24 hours.

Find a used parts washer and get the parts off of it. Then either sell the used parts washer or throw it away.

Probably shares the same parts with multiple models.

Sad how washers don't last anymore. We are on our fifth washer in 24 years. Lots of use especiay early on with 6 in the family. Previous to these in our old home we had a washer that was over twenty years old and going strong. It was a base model Kenmore. Should have brought it to our new home. I began my career early on as an appliance repair man for two years. I worked on Frigidiare and Maytag. They lasted a very long time back then. The new stuff is really disposable junk. The original Maytag was a simple machine that ran forever and ever. Not the new ones though. If you can't patch the thing just get a new one without all the whistles and bells.

Yes. There is a 90 degree coupling that tends to go out and it’s a booger to repair. I’ve been there and done that. Then the repair didn’t last very long. I said, never again. GE uses a much more simple design. I’m not down on all Whirlpool made appliances. They make great dishwashers, refrigerators, and freezers. Washers and ranges, not so much.

I would get rid of that washer and buy a good used whirlpool/Kenmore direct drive from a used appliance store. They were built to last which is probably why they stopped making them in 2012 or so.

Back