Burning used motor oil in an older diesel engine...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just attended a presentation on a paper where single particle mass spectometry was done one diesel exhaust. It appears that nano-particles, particles less than 1 micron, form around the metallic additives found in the oil. This phenomenon was confirmed by spiking the diesel with Ferrocene. Nano-particle counts went up and iron was found in the particles.

These nano-particles are the ones that get deep into the lungs and can pass directly into the blood stream.

It probably won't hurt the engine to burn used motor oil in it, but it certainly appears it would increase the toxicity of the exhaust.

There is no free lunch.

Ed

I run 2 stroke oil 1-400 ratio in 92 Cummins diesel, or 250 mil to 100 litres all year round, helps mileage, every bit helps. Up here the diesel gets thinned out for anti gel purpose in winter, I use the snowmobile grade rated for -40C or F. Waste oil sounds interesting too.

Cyprs

Running thin fuel doesn’t hurt diesels.
We run JP-8 in all our diesel engines and they all like it. all most no smoke, faster starts but when I put diesel in them it seems to use less.
JP-8 is thin and not oily at all like diesel.
Our diesels are Detroit diesels, Cummins, Kubota’s, lister-petter and Yamaha. They run JP-8 just fine and last may years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back