bumper to bumper traffic and synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
My post Katrina one way daily commute of 6 miles has tripled from 20 minutes to 1 hour +.

Would this be a good justification for using a full synthetic?

Couldn't hurt. Regardless, that kind of crawl (You're averaging a paltry 6 mph by your own account!) DEMANDS that you shorten your oil change interval, too, if you want to achieve anything approaching reasonable engine life. Fuel dilution thins the viscosity which in turn promotes wear and motor oil oxidation breakdown products. Contrary to the accepted "wisdom" nearly universally expressed on BITOG, even a PAO/ester full synthetic can be made to breakdown and sludge under those conditions. You're definitely in "severe service" territory - geographically and operationally.

Why would his engine suffer from fuel dillution? In 1 hour, he has plenty of time for the engine to get up to temp and burn off whatever there may be to burn off.

Unless your engine oil temps are very high during that commute, I don't see why you'd need a synthetic oil in this application. I would just change that dino more frequently, that's it.

Weather permitting, I'd walk or cycle just to get there faster! Even if I can only do that at 6 mph, its cheaper than driving.
smile.gif

Quattro Pete, the engine would get up to temp as you say. But everytime he starts from a dead stop, a disproportionately excess of gasoline goes into the cylinders. The oil is under near constant bombardment from excess raw fuel being blown past the piston rings. Over the course of an hour of that, not all of it will be vaporized, burned, and expelled out the exhaust. It's no accident that constant speed highway driving is the easiest duty any internal combustion engine will ever see. The reverse is equally true.

06Ranger,

I'm in The Swamp too, and I've noticed more traffic without a doubt. (So much for Mayor Noggin's promise of a "smaller, gentler city.")

Where is your commute that it's tripled like that? Crossing the GNO bridge from West Bank to East?

-- Paul W.

You will not see excessive oil temps. You will get a disproportionate amount of open loop operation which will have varied fuel ratio properties, as was mentioned.

Track fuel economy ..adjust OCI accordingly.

Where is your commute that it's tripled like that? Crossing the GNO bridge from West Bank to East?

Paul W,

My commute is from Uptown to Bucktown at 5:30 p.m.
frown.gif

quote:

Weather permitting, I'd walk or cycle just to get there faster! Even if I can only do that at 6 mph, its cheaper than driving.

That's what I'm saying. You could be passing everybody up on your Huffy!

The commute consist of crossing over several major intersections in the dark.

Biking or walking could be hazardous.

It could be, yes. After all, "safety first."

To me, it seems terribly unproductive and wasteful to be sitting in a car that long, and driving that slow to travel such a short distance. Do you even put your foot on the gas?

Did this 6-mile drive turn into a 1-hour ordeal after Katrina hit?

I started using amsoil series 3K and with mostly highway driving and some stop and go traffic with 2500 miles on the oil it still looks brand new. The Series 3K is a diesel and gas rated oil so i can with stand greater fuel dilution, might what to give it a try.

06Ranger wrote, to the suggestion that he bike to and from work in New Orleans:

>

I can't imagine trying to hike or bike across the greater part of New Orleans even in the daytime. When I lived in Denver, there were lots of bike trails. Not here.

Drivers here are, and have always been, truly nuts. They've been behaving themselves at the 4-way stops that have replaced traffic lights, but if one squirrel sack T-bones someone else, we'll all be screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back