Bullet Smelter Closing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullets have been virtually impossible to buy over the last 6 months or so, and a friend
of mine just told me there is a facility in Missouri that is closing. If it's true
things will be worse. I have not seen .22 in 6 months at Wal-Mart. As soon as I can I
am stocking up.

Just found .22 CCI stingers at my WM last week. Been looking for almost a year. My local gun store has various .22 ammo from time to time for $7+ for a box of 50...

Why are you having such difficulty buying 22 (I presume LR) ammo? Just because it's not sitting on the shelf at your local big box retailer doesn't mean it's not available, sir.

Originally Posted By: royesses
The only USA prime lead smelter is closing, too expensive to meet the new EPA regulations.

Of course, the fact that bullet-makers are affected negatively is all purely a coincidence. No agenda there at all...

22 Long Rifle Ammo here is very difficult to find anywhere and if you do locate some you will pay very high price for it.

223/5.56, 9MM, 40 Cal, and other type of ammo are in plentiful supply as long as you can afford it.

Not only is this sad for us sportsmen, but I would think this also affects our national security. I mean we are increasingly relying on or outsourcing vital components of defense to nations that are not really pro U.S. There is no way we could even muster a shadow of the "Arsenal of Democracy" in this day and age.

Factories can be repaired and reopened.

Resources can be exploited if the desire is great enough.

Getting people that are willing to work would be the toughest problem, imo.

Talked to brother that lives in Mo.and yes the smelter is being shut down but the company is going to chemical wash extraction of the lead ore. They have had to spend big bucks cleaning up the contaminated soil from the smelter use in that area.
lm sure everyone downwind of it will be glad to see the smelter go away.
DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back