Buick was too early? Tour X

I have the last year of the older GS 2017, is that Black Cherry, looks similar to mine. ;)
View attachment 98002

Dark Cherry is one of the best colors GM ever used. My '96 Aurora was Dark Cherry Metallic and it was STUNNING. Apparently, on the Regal it was called "Edible Berries Metallic", but to me it looks identical to the earlier Black Cherry. Either way, it's just gorgeous.

IMO, the biggest issue with the TourX was the decision to use grey plastic cladding for the lower body trim. Look up a picture of one lowered ~1 inch, with the cladding painted to match the body. It's jaw dropping. That's the way the car should have come from the factory.

IMO, the biggest issue with the TourX was the decision to use grey plastic cladding for the lower body trim. Look up a picture of one lowered ~1 inch, with the cladding painted to match the body. It's jaw dropping. That's the way the car should have come from the factory.
The plastic wheel arches aren't doing it for me... I know they did it to make it more "SUV!" for the US. But in hindsight they maybe should have made the SUV! look a package with a bit of raised ride height and some more raising tricks like the Outbacks raised built in roof racks(which we quite like) and then have the road version just look super nice. The TourX arches don't really fit the rest of the car IMO
buick-subaru-620x165.jpg

The Outback added the plastic arches for the borderline ridiculous Wilderness edition though... Its EXTREME! and the arches play the part. White isn't its best colour either...
maxresdefault.jpg

The plastic wheel arches aren't doing it for me... I know they did it to make it more "SUV!" for the US. But in hindsight they maybe should have made the SUV! look a package with a bit of raised ride height and some more raising tricks like the Outbacks raised built in roof racks(which we quite like) and then have the road version just look super nice. The TourX arches don't really fit the rest of the car IMOView attachment 98394
The Outback added the plastic arches for the borderline ridiculous Wilderness edition though... Its EXTREME! and the arches play the part. White isn't its best colour either...
View attachment 98405
The refreshed Outback adds more unpainted black plastic up front, but not quite wilderness levels

2023%20Outback%201.jpg

I've still never seen another in the wild...never.

When I had the 500 Abarth, I thought I was the only one...then I noticed a dozen or so in the time I owned it. I have had the Tour X almost a year now, and still never seen another.

It may have been you that posted pics of your Tour-X here, so other than yours, I too have only seen one in the wild!

Always thought these were awesome.

The Opel looks tens times better without the cladding.

View attachment 98441

I agree, but living in the rust belt, I plan on keeping my plastic. I know several on the TourX forums that remove theirs. It is a several thousands of dollars effort, but it sure looks good.

I do have a set of coilovers in the garage waiting for a day when the sun finally shines, and the wind stops blowing here in Iowa.

Yes

Hell yeah! Tune it and send it!

In before "bUT yoUR warRanTY"..hahahahaha.

Nice vehicle everyone compliments/reviews well but translates to no sales. So many vehicles fall into that.
Because it was built by a GM subsidiary in Europe there wasn't any way it could ever been a volume model. Who knows what motivated GM to try to sell this (in the U.S.) thing to begin with.

Nice vehicle everyone compliments/reviews well but translates to no sales. So many vehicles fall into that.

Wrong market realistically. We're more tuned into SUVs and crossovers here vs wagons over the pond plus we start running into parts and supply issues from models that are available over seas.

Reactions: CKN
A turbo wagon?

Combining car handling with SUV space, while avoiding the abysmal fuel economy of SUVs?

Sounds like a great idea for a car…
Nah. Men who have been feminized need to drive an suv so they can claim their testosterone levels are in check, while women who need to feel young need to drive something different from what their parents did.

Because it was built by a GM subsidiary in Europe there wasn't any way it could ever been a volume model. Who knows what motivated GM to try to sell this (in the U.S.) thing to begin with.
Maybe the Outback? Flashbacks of the old GM where they tried to compete in every vehicle segment?
If you compare the two vehicles on paper on the specs that 95% of buyers should care about for their actual usage, the TourX wins. And stealing half the Outback sales would be a 1/3 increase in total Buick sales... Also half the car enthusiast websites had an article every month lamenting the scarcity of wagons, maybe a marketing exec thought the time was right for people to actually buy a nice wagon? Nope.....

Probably this car helped cement the fact, for the domestics at least, that many of their vehicle buyers really just use their reptilian brain to buy cars... They feel comfortable when they are seen as tall(at a minimum, why tiny SUV's sell) ,big, flashy, powerful... Things like efficiency or driving enjoyment aren't going to sell a car, as those are harder to see and many of the buyers peers don't see or care about those at all.

Also the Buick brand is a non-starter for lots of people, its quasi luxury for old people? My wife would have needed lots of convincing to approve one, even if it was sold in Canada. Probably they should've made the TourX a Chevy and gone more "Outback" on it if they wanted to sell it as rugged and capable?, it was a proven formula at least. Cladding on a normal wagon doesn't really please anyone I think, to obvious its just for show.

Also maybe I think, lots of people want their social groups acceptable "Bro Dozer" truck? Something as big and flashy as you can afford to run, or be able to drive comfortably? A low sleek wagon, is more of difficult sell I guess.

I miss our TourX on a regular basis. It was very good for a two kid family. Kid 3 caused our TourX to turn into a korean mini van. Not nearly as fun but its utility in hauling kids and their contraptions is unmatched.

TourX did not get amazing MPG but it was decent. It did not use any hybrid or CVT transmission is the reason why.

It’s a classic/collectible car to be for sure.

I miss our TourX on a regular basis. It was very good for a two kid family. Kid 3 caused our TourX to turn into a korean mini van. Not nearly as fun but its utility in hauling kids and their contraptions is unmatched.

TourX did not get amazing MPG but it was decent. It did not use any hybrid or CVT transmission is the reason why.

It’s a classic/collectible car to be for sure.
Can't argue with how practical a mini van is once you pass 2 kids.

Can't argue with how practical a mini van is once you pass 2 kids.
Mini van would be better even at just two kids. The tourx had plenty of capacity for 4 people but what a good mini van can do for kid hauling is unmatched. Sliding doors > everything else.

Back