Buick was too early? Tour X

I have. 2018 Buick Tour-X (Essence) made in Germany by Opal which is now owned by Peugeot. All options except pano roof. Bought it in summer of 2018. Buick never advertised the car. I call it a “Long Roof Sedan”. 2.0 Turbo with AWD. Plenty of power. My every day driver. (See below) Open road over 30 mpg. 30 to 38 mpg depending how fast I’ve been going. Fast enough for me. (Can’t outrun mister Motorola). People always ask me “what is it”?

My other car ( special day driver) is my 2021 Genesis G80 3.5 Turbo Prestige. People also ask me “what is it”? Even on Eco Mode, it “Hauls Butt”. Sport mode too fast for me. Remember, you can’t outrun Mister Motorola. (Just kidding about Too Fast For Me 😜😱🙏)

The TourX was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. If people truly wanted utility and good economy-then a mini-van makes perfect sense. Instead it's pickup trucks at half of the mpg and 30% higher in transaction price.

There are PLENTY of vehicles that have earned attention only to have the plug pulled a few model years later.

With production of the TourX only in Europe (mentioned above by poster ctrcbob)
-by another GM subsidiary-it was destined to be a low volume seller from the beginning.

Last edited:
I saw one of these the other day and thought it was a Volvo. I had to look it up when I got to work and think it may be my next used car, and I’m not a GM fan at all.

What a great looker, and practical.

It wasn’t until I took a job that didn’t have a company truck that I realized I don’t need a truck (I bought a car since fuel was now on my dime). A wagon ( or at least our minivan) will do almost anything in town that a truck can. Rental trailers will take care of the rest.

So, what new wagon for sale these days has 3 rows of forward facing seats, in case you need to make a person suffer in the 3rd row in an emergency?
Don't you own one of these currently?
Another (mid size) model is the KIA Sorento.

I still love my 2019 TourX as well with many people asking me about it over the 2.5 years I've owned it. One guy actually called it a Volvo. It's a nice car with great utility while not feeling so much like an appliance. I've fit some pretty crazy stuff in my TourX, including a low back sofa. It goes like hell in the snow too with the torque vectoring rear differential.

I'm not sure why the TourX length would disqualify it from being car like. I've driven this car all over, including on the PA turnpike in the mountains. The TourX can go around those mountain bends far quicker than what PennDOT would advise without any drama. Plus, it gets 30 mpg doing it. A CRV or Rav4 would be about ready to roll before the TourX even begins to protest. Not to mention, the TourX can beyond safely accelerate out of its own way. I remember my driving my grandparents 2014 CRV being fearful for my life merging on the interstate from a short on ramp with a stop sign. It just made a bunch of noise like someone put a blender on the pulse cycle and hardly anything happened. (Note - I'm not hating on anyone's crossover. They are personally not my cup of tea.)

retired now but in a different time a long roof would have suited me + my cramped passengers in my economical 2001 Jetta, no AWD but 4 snow tires got me by stuck or struggling AWD vehicles with all season BUT winter tyres. if the golf sport wagen were around it would prolly have been my choice + the Buick would have been an option as well, lots of choices but a sedan is the best value today in an SUV crazy world with lots of TANK aka 4WD 4door gas guzzlin pickups that rarely haul very little!!

DH - Please post a pic of that beast when you get a chance.
My kids are grown and I’m no longer a station wagon/minivan guy, but those Regals always caught my eye. I thought the styling looked much better than Volvo,VW etc wagons.
Thanks.

Will do...The PO did some terrible "work" to the clear coat, so I have some swirls (ok, LOTS) to take out. I'm sadly sitting through the worst Iowa spring I care to ever remember, but when it finally gets above 60 with less than 30 mph winds I hope to give both the TourX and my C5 some much needed attention to their finishes.

I'm surprised so many people in the US don't know what it is? Especially considering it's just a jacked-up Buick Regal.

I drive the 'car' version here in the UK which is branded as a 'Vauxhall Insignia'. I only purchased the car because it was ridiculously cheap. I'm not a massive Vauxhall fan but credit where credit is due, it's a good car and I have little bad to say about it. Even down to the little 1.5 3 cylinder diesel engine that chugs it along.

Attachments

• 20211216_150930.jpg
    20211216_150930.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20211216_151659.jpg
    20211216_151659.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220116_140145.jpg
    20220116_140145.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 36
The owner of the DQ right down the street from me owns a red one and I‘m always checking it out when I drive by. It’s not every day you see a good looking Red Buick.

55E62631-6B3D-41D4-A9FC-1328AC70CB41.jpg

I think you have this backwards.

According to Fuelly.com, the Buick TourX averages about 23+ mpg, while a similar vintage Honda CR-V averages 28+ mpg and a Toyota RAV-4 averages about 27 mpg.

And I'm sure the 111" TourX wheelbase (a full 6" longer than the CR-V and RAV-4) does nothing to help it handle like a car.

I have owned a CR-V and driven a RAV4 a bunch. The TourX is so much more car like, it isn't even comparable. The TourX as mentioned is designed and focused on the European market, so it handles much better than what I would have predicted an American made Buick to perform.

With our CR-V, I averaged ~23 mpg, and it was gutless. With the TourX, I am between 26 and 28...but the big difference is that I run premium in the TourX...so no real savings. It can easily pull low 30's on a road trip, and our best 50 mile average is ~41 mpg (I can take a picture of my dash if you don't believe me).

When you get behind the wheel, you forget the length, as it handles very well for what it is. When you open the hatch at your local bulk food member store, you are rewarded with everything fitting...including your overstock of TP.

I have owned a CR-V and driven a RAV4 a bunch. The TourX is so much more car like, it isn't even comparable. The TourX as mentioned is designed and focused on the European market, so it handles much better than what I would have predicted an American made Buick to perform.

With our CR-V, I averaged ~23 mpg, and it was gutless. With the TourX, I am between 26 and 28...but the big difference is that I run premium in the TourX...so no real savings. It can easily pull low 30's on a road trip, and our best 50 mile average is ~41 mpg (I can take a picture of my dash if you don't believe me).

When you get behind the wheel, you forget the length, as it handles very well for what it is. When you open the hatch at your local bulk food member store, you are rewarded with everything fitting...including your overstock of TP.

Totally agree with the handling. I haven't pushed mine much but my colleague has one as his company car and we were out and about yesterday and he managed to get the back end to slide with a bit of lift-off-oversteer!

FYI, facetiousness tends not to translate well on the internet.

Ok so you don't like SUVs and for some reason you don't think they're practical. Can you provide some details as to why you think they're not practical, maybe as compared to a sedan?

The sales numbers seem to show that most other people would disagree with your perspective. What are people getting wrong inasmuch that SUV sales are so high and sedan sales so low?
Not to mention that the TourX (a badge engineered Opel) was canceled after 3 years due to poor sales.

Most folks...

-don't care how their transportation actually handles, and won't take their attention off their phone long enough to know anyways
-don't care about fuel mileage really
-want to blend in with the neighbors
-never want to look less than their neighbors...what, they can drive in the 1" of snow we got and I can't?!?!?!
-desire capabilities for the less than 1% of the time the vehicle will be used (I'm personally guilty here!)
-want to appear powerful - what, my eyes are at their bumper, this can't be powerful
-are too out of shape to step "down" into a vehicle
-are too out of shape to fit into a modern sedan
-want to be insulated from the world

SUV's are practical if you don't care about driving dynamics and fuel mileage, and must maintain image. If you just want to get your kids from A to B not caring about the joys of driving, or fuel mileage, and want to make sure the neighbors won't make fun of you then you are a great SUV candidate.

Most folks...

-don't care how their transportation actually handles, and won't take their attention off their phone long enough to know anyways
-don't care about fuel mileage really
-want to blend in with the neighbors
-never want to look less than their neighbors...what, they can drive in the 1" of snow we got and I can't?!?!?!
-desire capabilities for the less than 1% of the time the vehicle will be used (I'm personally guilty here!)
-want to appear powerful - what, my eyes are at their bumper, this can't be powerful
-are too out of shape to step "down" into a vehicle
-are too out of shape to fit into a modern sedan
-want to be insulated from the world

SUV's are practical if you don't care about driving dynamics and fuel mileage, and must maintain image. If you just want to get your kids from A to B not caring about the joys of driving, or fuel mileage, and want to make sure the neighbors won't make fun of you then you are a great SUV candidate.
The baby boomers who buy vehicles prefer to slide in at the hip joint than stoop down in to a vehicle. Whether one is in shape or not really doesn't matter. It's just easier and more comfortable. I am in great shape and getting in to a Camry or a like vehicle is a PITA. As is fashionable on this forum you are making some broad generalizations-that may or may be accurate.

I am in great shape and getting in to a Camry or a like vehicle is a PITA.
I've found the same difficulties in late-model Corollas I've driven or rented. I think the low roofline, long sloped windshield and squinty side windows of so many newer cars makes them a lot harder to get in and out of (as well as harder to see out of) as previous models.

Reactions: CKN
DH - Please post a pic of that beast when you get a chance.
My kids are grown and I’m no longer a station wagon/minivan guy, but those Regals always caught my eye. I thought the styling looked much better than Volvo,VW etc wagons.
Thanks.

Attachments

• front right.jpg
    front right.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 36
  • rear right.jpg
    rear right.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 35
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2022-04-28 124040.jpg