Buick LaCrosse 3.6L VVT filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an 06 Lacrosse with the 3.6 and was curious what others run on this engine? I could either get the filter from the dealership or one from carquest/napa or walmart. Since I don't think supertech would be as good quality as a napa gold or ac delco, it'd probably be between those two..

If it's between NAPA Gold and AC Delco, you might consider running NAPA Gold in the winter and AC Delco in the summer.

NAPA Gold has a great silicone anti drainback valve and bypass valve, which are more useful in the winter than summer.

And probably AC Delco is cheaper.

yeah carquest and napa are five min's down the road and I read on here that both napa gold and carquest premium blue are wix so I'll probably try whichever is cheaper.

we have an advance auto parts and autozone about 20 min's from here, but do they carry anything that's around the same quality/price as the above?

Advance Auto and Autozone have filters that should be a lot less $ than your 5-minutes-away stores.

As for the quality, well that's a continuing debate on this site. Search around for what people have to say.

Down here in Texas, I've noticed the AC filters for my application are USA sourced and $3 from Advance, and $3.50-$4 and Mexico sourced at Autozone.

For the money, I've had nothing but good luck with the AC's. I look at those more expensive filters and salivate, and then ask myself "why bother?"...

M1 site says the fram number is 9837. Didn't see one in walmart the other day.. I wanted to check if it has a bypass valve or if this engine is like the chevy 4.3 with the bypass built into it. anybody know?

Thanks for that link, very good site. Under specs for the pure one filter it says: Relief Valve P.S.I.: None.

So this engine must have the built in bypass valve =)

I've done some calling around for pricing on em:

Autozone has AcDelco for $3.49

Advance Auto Parts has PureOne for $4.94

Napa Gold for $6.66 (carquest is more and another auto shop with wix is more too)

So AcDelco doesn't have a silicone ADBV which given the way the filter is mounted would be nice to have IMO.

Does PureOne flow enough? I've read some posts that some find it to be a very restrictive filter..

Well I thought the filter was mounted differently, but it's actually upside down at a little bit of an angle. So maybe the silicone ADBV isn't really needed as much as I thought..

Anyone with the 3.6, let me know what you use!

offtopic.gif

So after getting the car home, the first thing I did was check the oil. It was almost half way down between the full and low mark, so I mentioned it to the dealer when we were there to pick up the tags. He said not to add any and to bring it by to them and let them document it and they would top it off.
Well today I did that and my fear of letting other people mess with my oil proved right again.. I had to drain 1/2qt out of it to get it down to the full mark
mad.gif

6 quarts in the sump instead of 5.5 like the manual says shouldn't have hurt anything driving it about 20 miles like that should it?

My Dad just bought a fully loaded 05 LaCrosse. His engine appears to be a "baby Northstar" and the filter on his is 100% vertical on the front of the engine(well the side facing the front at least). It has a pretty big filter for a V6 by today's standards.

I have the same engine in my CTS only its traditional rear wheel drive (not transverse mounted). It does not have a spin on, uses a canister filter that sits on the left side top of engine (easy to change and no mess at all). My brother has a 05 CLX and we were comparing the engines. Looks like the only thing the CTS 3.6 and the LaCrosse 3.6 share in the CID.

My car came with Mobil 1 but the Buick does not in 05. He had 10g on his car and says it been flawless.

The filter in the CTS is PF2129 and is only made in Mexico.
I would use the AC Delco filter on the Buick.

btw-I have an 2005 LaCrosse sitting in my yard at this moment. Its a rental car from Cadillac (no charge and I can put 200 mil a day on it) because they have to keep my CTS a few days to R&R the radio and send it in for exchange. Software problems in the XM and CD changer.

Wow I thought the LaCrosse had just a detuned version of the CTS 3.6 since it has 15 less hp and runs on 87. Didn't realize the CTS has a different filter and mounted differently..

Could you guys check out my post here and let me know what you think?

The CTS and the Rendevous were the first the get the 3.6L, then in 2005 the added it to the top of the line LaCrosse.

The CTS uses 87 octance also. Has a 5 sp AT with performance setting, real dual exhaust, posi rear axle. I avg abour 25.3 mpg.

How do you like the LaCrosse? The rental I have is loaded but with the 3800 engine. Just my impression of the car these 2 days would not lead me to ever consider buying one. To me its seems to have blind spots that make it hairy to drive in traffic.

It's great, test drove a lot of cars before this one including a loaded LaCrosse with the 3800.. It really doesn't compare to this one at all as far as handling and it had the bench seats which I don't like either. Haven't really noticed blind spots too much.
Try backing up a dodge charger, now that thing has blind spots =p

Went to Advance Auto Parts today and was about to pick up an AC Delco, but just didn't like the looks of the metal ADBV on the PF61?? So ended up with two PureOne's on sale for 4.94 with a mail in 5 dollar instore credit. Not a bad deal if I get the rebate back..

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
My Dad just bought a fully loaded 05 LaCrosse. His engine appears to be a "baby Northstar" and the filter on his is 100% vertical on the front of the engine(well the side facing the front at least). It has a pretty big filter for a V6 by today's standards.

His is a CXS model with the 3.6 and it most definetly has a standard "blue can" oil filter on it...no canister setup.

well I cut apart the PF61 that was on it from the factory today and what I thought was a metal ADBV is actually just the endcap on the filter. SO it doesn't have an ADBV...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back