Buick Century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are 2 pics I scanned after going through some old pictures, it was taken in 1992. If I find more pics I'll post them up. I don't remember what year this Buick Century was, probably early 1980s. I do remember it had a emblem on the side 3.8 Litre. It was one of the first cars my family had, bought used probably back in the late 80s, don't remember I was still a little kid back then. It had a front bench seat so you could sit 3 in front. The back window does not open and you could only open that quarter window at the back. It did have a am/fm radio but no cassette.

We don't have that car anymore, got rid of it in the mid 90s. This car had a cockroach problem, think there was a nest in the car engine compartment because after the engine is nice and warmed up they come into the passenger compartment. We put those Raid things where they crawl in but didn't seem to help.

buickcentury2.jpg

buickcentury1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an '84 Century wagon from '95 till '96. The only good thing about this vehicle was that it allowed me to travel low-key for months across the country without having to fear break-ins and theft. I went with this car anywhere, even offroad. At least I didn't have any blind passengers!

dune.jpg

My aunt in Florida had one of those 80's Centurys in dark blue metallic. It was a pretty car when it wsa new..she was so proud.

She traded it on one of those LeSabres with the hood that opened at the rear (can't remember the vintage) and proceeded to put over 200,000 miles on it with nary a hiccup. She loved that car even more than the Century, calling it "Jeans Silver Bullet". She had a front license plate silkscreened for it that said that.

Wow. My family's wierd.

That's an 81 or earlier, rear wheel drive. The FWD one they came out with in 82 stayed the same until 96!

If you watch "King of the Hill" it's what Peggy drove until very recently.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I had an '84 Century wagon from '95 till '96. The only good thing about this vehicle was that it allowed me to travel low-key for months across the country without having to fear break-ins and theft. I went with this car anywhere, even offroad. At least I didn't have any blind passengers!

Someone tried to steal the car before. They broke the steering column cover to try to hotwire the car but was unsuccessful. We never fixed the ignition thing in the column so to start the car you had to use a screwdriver and press something.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That's an 81 or earlier, rear wheel drive. The FWD one they came out with in 82 stayed the same until 96!

Wow I wished they still made rear wheel drive ones. I remember watching one episode about the Y2K and Hank mentioned something about her Buick rolling the odometer. I think her car was also beige color as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I was going to say, that's a 1978/79 Century. A neighbour of ours had one like it - it was a dark blue two-door, and it had the '3.8 litre' badges on it.

At the same time, my Dad had a 1978 Malibu wagon. That GM platform was very, very popular in the late 1970's/early 1980's, and you used to see a LOT of them on the road.

Thanks for the pics!

I like the long telephoto viewpoint and driver apparantly sitting/waiting. It's like he's on a stakeout. Does he drive a black Crown Vic now?
LOL.gif

I like the long telephoto viewpoint and driver apparantly sitting/waiting. It's like he's on a stakeout. Does he drive a black Crown Vic now?
LOL.gif

This picture was taken near the front of my house just across the street. I had to crop out the top part of the picture since it shows the house. Thats my dad parking the car. We did have a 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with 3.8L V6 for a short time a few years back. It felt like the Buick in a way, the Oldsmobile was fuel injection and I believe it had the 4 speed auto. No, he does not drive a Crown Victoria but it would be cool though. All you need is some aviator sunglasses and you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
This picture was taken near the front of my house just across the street. I had to crop out the top part of the picture since it shows the house.

You may want to blur the house number that's visible.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
This picture was taken near the front of my house just across the street. I had to crop out the top part of the picture since it shows the house.

You may want to blur the house number that's visible.

Why?

I just don't get this whole license plate (house number) blurring thing on the net. Especially for the car -- you drive your car around all day, fully exposed to any crazy in the public who sees it, and your plate, and yet, we have to blur them on the net. I don't get that...

Cockroaches! That's a new one on me. I've heard of other vermin getting to a car, but that's a new one for me. And an icky one at that.

Here's what I would have done. First, I'd start the car. I'd then let it get warm enough that the first roach appeared. Then I'd put the AC on recirculate and close all the windows. Next, I'd "deploy" a dozen or so Raid (or similar) insecticide fog bombs inside the car. Now, close the doors, and walk away. If the thing doesn't explode like a small version of the Hiroshima bomb, that should take care of the roaches.

Of course, the inside would need a good wipe down if it survives, but hey, no more roaches...

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Why?

I just don't get this whole license plate (house number) blurring thing on the net. Especially for the car -- you drive your car around all day, fully exposed to any crazy in the public who sees it, and your plate, and yet, we have to blur them on the net. I don't get that...

Why has Google Maps banned reverse address lookup? You still can look up a satellite image or aerial shot and a map if you have an address, but you can't do that anymore the other way around. The reason is obvious.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back