Bug spray on headlights...it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on washing and cleaning the Uplander today. While getting the supplies ready, I remembered something that I had read on the internet about bug spray cleaning yellowed headlights. Keeping the headlights clean is a constant battle on the Uplander. They are too far gone to make them look like new again. I have used kits, fine sand paper that came with the kits...car polish, abrasive swirl remover, etc. All made them look better to a certain degree. But the yellow always comes back. Well I didnt have much to lose, so I went into the cabinet and pulled out some bug spray, (OFF!) brand. Just spritzed some onto a paper towel and wiped it on, immediately the yellow began to come off. There is obviously a chemical reaction because it does leave the headlights feeling sticky like it "melted" them a bit. I just took some Zaino AIO and buffed them out by hand, then applied NU Finish as a sealant. I wish I had pics of them before, but in the end, I am happy with the results. No step 1, 2, and 3 sand paper pads and labor intensive hand buffing. Its worth a shot if you have tried other product and have less than stellar results, just dont get it on the paint, and wash off the headlights afterward. Dont forget to top it off with a sealant or at least a wax. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pics, it takes great photos when there is light, not so much with heavy cloud cover.
20141105_1635522_zps5b33c4a7.jpg

20141105_1636002_zps90489a38.jpg

Update. Headlights are still reasonably clear, no worse then when I did this treatment. Its lasting longer than any other method I have tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back