Bug Deflectors

Do these help protect the hood and windshield? Are the effective?

Thinking about this for my truck, which will see mostly highway speeds and travel.

1629678544391.jpg

I've got a flush mount AVS one on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic. They prevent stone chips on the front edge of the hood, that's about it. Mine had a ton of tiny chips when I bought it used.

LVkvzAIl.jpg

They don't do much of anything, but on some vehicles they look ok or can be a styling bandaid. My cousin has an '04 Silverado with an '06 grille and the bug guard kind of fills the gap between the newer grille and the hood.

if you drive on the highway, they absolutely reduce the number of stone chips you will get. especially on a car with a low hood line - they reduce them by the hundreds.

Reactions: JC1
My Ram came with one from the factory. It does nothing for the windshield but it does protect the hood. I never get bug smears on the hood and if the number of little chips on the deflector are any indication it has protected the hood from rock chips too.

No, since it's a hard surface that doesn't touch the paint allowing it to breathe.
Like you say, there is an air gap between the plastic and the hood surface, plus AVS aligns the 3M double sided tape in such a way that water can't pool under it.

My 95 Jeep YJ had one installed back in the day, and it is still on now. I have left it on due to the poor paint underneath that is worse looking than the bug deflector.

It does nothing to keep the windshield clean, but looks very "period". I find the grill is dirtier than the deflector, if that means anything.

Attachments

• 20776CAB-CBBC-42CE-8B62-1CE525546E33.jpeg
    20776CAB-CBBC-42CE-8B62-1CE525546E33.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 3
Defiantly recommend you get one.
I run one on my 1998 Ford Explorer. Great investment. I have had to replace it twice from impact that could have done some hood or worse windshield damage. I have PPF on one of my MINI's and has been there since about 2008. If 3m is used and the use of their thicker clear (very hard to apply) is used bugs and other impact material will not harm or discolor the coating. On my Mazda I have a hood grill cover that I wish I had installed much sooner because of how low the hood area is for getting impacts. I should have covered the front end when it was new. Now I need to repaint the complete front because of all the small chips.

Back