Budget In-ear hearing protection?

Does it exist?

I was watching some youtube videos the other day (King of 2-mile) and some of the shooters had in-ear (think earbud) type hearing protection that still allowed them to talk to the guys around them. I did some googling, but came up empty handed for anything less than $500+. Anybody seen anything like this for a budget shooter?

Don't
I asked the same and those electronic molded in-ears have less noise protection than regular foam in ear plugs.
I double up, I use regular foam and electronic muff which amplify voice. Helps me listen to range officer during high power matches and at the same time save my ears from the muzzle blasts.

I picked up a $40 set of headphones but have yet to use them. Electronic ones with a volume control. I used foam plugs for years as they had higher rates and seemed to work--suddenly a year or so ago they stopped fitting well, no idea but suddenly I can hear through them and even 38spl is too loud to shoot (I buy in bulk and try not to reuse, I roll up and insert, but for whatever reason, not cutting the mustard lately). So I'm hoping that doubling up will do the trick.

I can see the value in buying $500 hearing protection but I don't have any guns worth that much, lol!

It seems like high end shooter have no limits on prices. Years ago My friend owned a really nice gun shop . Guys would come in and buy the latest and greatest new guns and scopes and ammo with out a care for the cost every hunting season.

Do you need to talk to people or listen to instructions from other people?

Many manufacturing plants, when they give tours use electronic ones with a speaker and microphone built in, but like walkie talkies, everyone needs to be on the same channel.

Just go for the ear plugs and put ear muffs. Double hearing protection is more than sufficient for small arms fire

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Surefire EP7 I use those at the racetrack and they work great for Top Fuel or Cup cars.

Well NNR rating of 28 is pretty good but I'll stick with something rated over 30.

I double up with the silicone in-ear buds and electronic muffs on top (usually turned off, unless I'm shooting with someone, which is rare). I usually just shoot pistol though, so I don't know if the muffs would be in the way with a cheek wield, although I don't think it would.

I personally can't imagine shooting without doubled ear protection.

I've been using these since 2016 and recommend the highly: https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-GunsportPRO-Electronic-Protection-Enthusiasts/dp/B00J5P8OGS

Under $300, use a commonly available and cheap hearing aid battery, and they will fit under ear muffs if you need to double up. You can set the volume to normal or amplified with a easy to access switch while wearing.

Plus they use the same ear tips as Etymotic's headphones so there will be something that fits your ear and will give you a good deal. Plus the ear tips and filters are replaceable when worn out or dirty.

BSW

I just double with foam and muffs over top. Other than the fact that the muffs overlap my glasses, it works great. I can hear well enough with this configuration, and dont have major concerns if I remove the muffs for a little better hearing (temporarily). Ive never personally been a fan of the electronic ones. It makes my ears feel like there's extra "pressure" in there, probably because there is due to the cancelling waveform.

I think the ideal is custom fit earplugs, maybe still with muffs over top. But Ive not seen the need to spend the $. I can lose foam plugs all I want...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I just double with foam and muffs over top. Other than the fact that the muffs overlap my glasses, it works great. I can hear well enough with this configuration, and dont have major concerns if I remove the muffs for a little better hearing (temporarily). Ive never personally been a fan of the electronic ones. It makes my ears feel like there's extra "pressure" in there, probably because there is due to the cancelling waveform.

I think the ideal is custom fit earplugs, maybe still with muffs over top. But Ive not seen the need to spend the $. I can lose foam plugs all I want...

I do the same, works well.

A little off the subject.
Marine Corps boot camp shooting range late 1965.
They gave us cotton to stuff in our ears.
I'm shooting my M14 along with 20 or so others pounding mag after mag down range.
Couldn't hear worth a darn for hours.

These are no frills and non electronic, but less than $10 and have been more than adequate for me. There is a "valve" of sorts, and I keep it closed. Have shot with them open and it was not bad, but just want to get all of the protection they offer.

Plus they have a couple different sizes.

SureFire ear protection

Back