Budget all-band radio?

I was trying to pick up local air traffic control from my kitchen with no luck on the internal antennas... that’s as far as I’ve gotten...

Any good budget external antenna recommendations? Are most of them going to be no better than a long piece of wire, like the one that comes with the R-108?

BTW, I'm about 5 miles from the airport. I can pick up some air traffic audio reasonably well.

Last edited:
Any good budget external antenna recommendations? Are most of them going to be no better than a long piece of wire, like the one that comes with the R-108?

BTW, I'm about 5 miles from the airport. I can pick up some air traffic audio reasonably well.

If you're only 5 miles from an airport and an aviation enthusiast, definitely look into an SDR receiver for decoding the ADS-B signals from airplanes (if you haven't already). Its interesting tracking the planes as the come and go. At one site near the airport (CYVR), I was even able track the planes as they taxied to the terminals.

When I last did this many many years ago it was a bit awkward to setup but not too difficult. I can only imagine it must be more straight forward now.

BTW, I was using the same SDR receiver that I used to receive HF with. The only difference is that I didn't need the upconverter because ADS-B transmits in the native receive band of the USB SDR receiver I was using.

Haven’t tuned SW, but I tuned in A/B on 1550 AM from Windsor, 1020AM from Pittsburgh, and 720AM from Chicago. Both sound identical in terms of tuned signal. Interestingly, the Radiwow tunes 710AM (WOR) better than the Sony... but for being a nesrby 50KW clear channel station, it doesnt receive as well as, say, WGN. The little Radiwow has a bit deeper tone than my Sony. Don’t know how to explain it? Like it clips the treble, or uses something similar to “bass boost” on my old Walkman. For being so small I think I marginally prefer the sound.

Like I mentioned above, long press 4 to switch EQ from VOICE to MUSIC - that will give you more treble.

Also,,i get very poor reception on 720 kHz, even though i am much closer to Chicago than you are. Weird.

Last edited:
Update... on the Radiwow...

Tonight I’ve tuned in:
710 WOR (only nearby station I’ll list)
720 WGN Chicago
830 WCCO Minneapolis
840 Louisville
860 Toronto
890 Chicago
1020 Pittsburgh
1030 WBZ Boston
1100 Cleveland
1110 Charlotte
1120 St. Louis
1170 Wheeling
1530 Cincinnati
1540 Waterloo, IA

Minneapolis is ~1200 miles. I think that’s the winner tonight. Ran out of time to do much else.

Also, Radiwow sound quality on FM stereo on headphones is very good. I was listening with my full size over ear Philips X2HR yesterday.

Also, Radiwow sound quality on FM stereo on headphones is very good. I was listening with my full size over ear Philips X2HR yesterday.

I didnt know people listened to fm stereo stations anymore... ;)

There are so many commercials, it’s unbearable, and all the “oldies” stations thst played 50s/60s and some 70s in my youth, now play 70s/80s/90s, and not the best of any of those decades for my taste.

Not really an answer to the OP's question but related. I have an old Heathkit HW-101 (single sideband) SSB ham radio. 10-80 meters.
I also have a portable "techsun" type radio that I keep AA lithium batteries in. It can receive the same bands. (If I find the unit, I'll post the model number)

What's interesting is the vast difference in sensitivity and selectivity. The old Heathkit will pull in tons of signals that the Techsun won't. Even on the same antenna.

hw101-15.jpg

My R-108 picks up the airport on the vertical telescoping antenna and I'm about the same distance from the airport.

The airband is VHF so you need to have the receiver elevated as high as possible.

Update... on the Radiwow...

Tonight I’ve tuned in:
710 WOR (only nearby station I’ll list)
720 WGN Chicago
830 WCCO Minneapolis
840 Louisville
860 Toronto
890 Chicago
1020 Pittsburgh
1030 WBZ Boston
1100 Cleveland
1110 Charlotte
1120 St. Louis
1170 Wheeling
1530 Cincinnati
1540 Waterloo, IA

Minneapolis is ~1200 miles. I think that’s the winner tonight. Ran out of time to do much else.
Don’t know if we are getting off subject, but seeing all the above AM Stations and Frequencies, it reminds me;

I often drive long distances at night.
Loved it when car radios were tunable. I used to love to tune into any long distance station I could find. If there was any interference, I could tweak the dial, slightly off frequency and pick up what I wanted to hear. (Being an old Navy Radio Operator, I can ignore the signal I don’t want and concentrate only on the signal I’m interested in).
Once I’d get the call letters, I’d switch to another station. Those 50,000 watt stations gobs long way at night.

Can’t do that anymore because car radios are now all digital. Once radio on frequency, you can’t tweak the dial.

My R-108 picks up the airport on the vertical telescoping antenna and I'm about the same distance from the airport.

The airband is VHF so you need to have the receiver elevated as high as possible.
I’m 12 driving miles, probably 8 as the crow flies, from a major international airport. Can’t get the tower, even from the second story of my house, holding the radio up in the air with the antenna raised.

I’m 12 driving miles, probably 8 as the crow flies, from a major international airport. Can’t get the tower, even from the second story of my house, holding the radio up in the air with the antenna raised.
Unless there something wrong with the radio you should be able to at least pick inbound and outbound traffic.

My radio collection.
I have a Radio Shack wire reel radio antenna that works pretty good when attached to the Sony SSB shortwave radio.
The old GE Super Radio is a gem for far away AM radio stations. It has antenna terminal screws.
The Sangean radio is an HD radio.
My old Sony radio in the lower right corner has the best AM sound quality of my four radios.
In reality, I don't listen to them that often.

tempImaged37Qux.png

Back