Brunt work boots

This is the full lineup of safety toe USA built boots by Red Wing other than Heritage.
link won’t work sorry but is about 14 boots in the entire Red wing lineup that are built in USA and only Red Wings I recommend.

Last edited:
I’ve found I need good insoles regardless of who makes the boots. I’m currently wearing Brunt Ryng boots and they are as good as any other boots that cost the same. Redwings (import or domestic) have been more durable, Wolverines have been more comfortable and lighter.

+1,000,000,000 on buying quality footwear and mattresses.
You gotta try-on shoes. Mail order shoes and boots; specifically, the trial and error of fitting, is beyond inefficient.

I worked a lot on wooden flooring, so my boots always lasted longer than average.
I got good service ($/year?) from lighter weight, glued sole (Dunham's etc.) style of boot.

Also, the sole pattern is important. Rarely does any worker need heavily lugged soles. This pares the selections down.

I’ve found I need good insoles regardless of who makes the boots. I’m currently wearing Brunt Ryng boots and they are as good as any other boots that cost the same. Redwings (import or domestic) have been more durable, Wolverines have been more comfortable and lighter.
I’ve heard/seen some bad reviews on the Ryngs (since I dug a little deeper because of my own situation with Brunt), but glad you’re doing good in them. I did consider replacing the insoles in my Marins, but I’m not sure it’s even worth doing that at this point. They feel completely wiped out. I offered my boots to a younger kid today (who needs a pair badly because his are totally wasted). I may just give mine to him, plus he’ll really where them for an entire year or more, and I’d like to see what they look like after a full year.

Which will lead me to buy another pair of boots, and believe me I’m not skimping on my next pair. Usually I’m a red wing guy...sometimes Chippewa, but usually I’ll buy something red wing, as their durability, support, and comfort have served me very well in the past. I took a chance on Brunt’s hoping for the best, instead I got the absolute worst boot I’ve ever owned (And I used to buy Walmart boots when I was younger).

Thorogood, Redwing, or Carolina.
I have a set of lightly used Carolina Union made boots, and the white sole has come off. They were “out of warranty”, despite obviously looking new and having minimal use. They wouldn’t so much as give me help on where to take them for repair at my cost, let alone make it right. Somewhat disappointed because I like the boots….

I have become a big fan of Haix boots. Picture attached shows my old service boots prior to being resoled two months ago. Note that the only signs of age are some wrinkles in th eleather and the only damage are the small cracks in the glue at the seam between sole and leather. (Also, the rubber in the sole had hardened to a degree that it became extremely slippery - which was the primary reason for getting new soles). These boots were issued to me by the THW in 2003!
I got a new pair (different model) a coupe of years ago as the original ones had been written off after 10 or 15 years, but was allowed to keep the old pair. As they are no longer on the books, I had to pay for the resole out of my own pocket. Not cheap - 112€ including VAT and some other stuff (they also did something to the inner fabric upholstery, although it looked perfectly fine to me. Now there is a leather heel strip on the back which wasn't there before.) But if this pair lasts another 19 years I guess that's ok.

I also have a Pair of Haix P9 (German Army warm climate combat boot) that I purchased privately as hiking boots. These are now also 9 or 10 years old and are also holding up well. I used to kill cheap "desert boots" every 1.5 years... As one of the previous posters said, paying extra for quality shoes is a lot cheaper in the long run.

All Haix are manufactured in Europe (Bavaria and Croatia).

Attachments

• stinkstiefel1.jpg
    stinkstiefel1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 12
  • stinkstiefel2.jpg
    stinkstiefel2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I have a set of lightly used Carolina Union made boots, and the white sole has come off. They were “out of warranty”, despite obviously looking new and having minimal use. They wouldn’t so much as give me help on where to take them for repair at my cost, let alone make it right. Somewhat disappointed because I like the boots….
Well, hopefully the Carolina’s weren’t these, because I just bought them three weeks ago to replace my garbage Brunts.

Attachments

• 7FA624B4-8AEE-4305-B62B-1B66E28DE843.jpg
    7FA624B4-8AEE-4305-B62B-1B66E28DE843.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 8
Well, hopefully the Carolina’s weren’t these, because I just bought them three weeks ago to replace my garbage Brunts.
Lol. Love them!!

But yes, same ones.

1063237E-6DD3-4ED4-96A3-C34424FD7420.jpeg

The rest of them are superb.

The only other shoes I’ve ever had this happen on are a set of kids Nike shoes.

I bought my Carolina boots online at a great price. Maybe they were seconds?!?

They are great, and comfortable otherwise…

Lol. Love them!!

But yes, same ones.

View attachment 135245

Jesus! And those look brand new! Mine are three weeks old now, and I probably have 75 miles of work into them. I think my soles are going to be ok, I’ve been kicking stuff with them for three weeks, but I will definitely keep this in mind the next time I kick something. Wow.

Jesus! And those look brand new! Mine are three weeks old now, and I probably have 75 miles of work into them. I think my soles are going to be ok, I’ve been kicking stuff with them for three weeks, but I will definitely keep this in mind the next time I kick something. Wow.
They were. But also we’re maybe 2 years old. Had just been in my basement.

Wore them a few times, then they were on the shelf, then went to wear them and……. Noted that crack.

Need to figure out what glue to use….

A pair of Thorogoods cost $100+ more than those Chinese Brunts.

What did you think you were getting ?
I thought I’d experiment and get a year out of them. By the way, Thorogood moved much of their boot manufacturing operation just north of the factory in China that Brunts are made. Same with Carolina (now Mexico), and Red Wing (Vietnam).

They were. But also we’re maybe 2 years old. Had just been in my basement.

Wore them a few times, then they were on the shelf, then went to wear them and……. Noted that crack.

Need to figure out what glue to use….
I bet a cobbler can reattach that for a pretty small amount. If not? Liquid nails have never failed me.🤣

My US made Thorogood boots can also be sent back and rebuilt. Not sure on Carolina, but I would expect something similar could be done at least by a 3rd party.

I’m hoping to get at least 1 year out of mine, buy new again, and send the old off to get rebuilt if needed.

I thought I’d experiment and get a year out of them. By the way, Thorogood moved much of their boot manufacturing operation just north of the factory in China that Brunts are made. Same with Carolina (now Mexico), and Red Wing (Vietnam).

Here’s a good list of some US made offerings from Carolina and Thorogood. You might just have to go into a Redwing store to see what they have. I’m guessing they’ll be identified as such.

Lol. Love them!!

But yes, same ones.

View attachment 135245

The shoe itself looks well-made, and probably can be re-soled by a good cobbler.

Back