Brrr cold ! Oil for cold temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

It's been very very cold .... Here

Oil temperature at start -18C ... ( Car shows oil temperature )
Oil pressure hits 4.0 bars ... Going super slow, car is frozen.

In normal weather I would be around 1.6-1.8 bar idle
Now I'm 3.6-3.8 bar

Current oil 0w40 Castrol

I need something that will flow better ... Car Cayenne 4.8 V8

Redline ?
Amsoil ?

Thank you

0W20 or 0W30 oil instead?

We have the same kind of temperatures here, I'm fine with 0W40...cause I don't have an oil pressure gauge on my car
grin.gif
I'm already out
wink.gif

(More seriously, I let it idle for a while before leaving)

0W is good to -40 A 0W -20 or 30 would be thinner .

Last edited:
Castrol 0W-40 has a pour point of -60C. Better than most 0W-20s (and the best cold performance out there for Porsche A40 spec). This is because it has a decent amount of PAO. I think you're safe!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
M1 0-20 works great in my Fords for cold starts.

I assume that his application calls for a Porsche A40 approved lubricant which means an HTHS >=3.5cP. M1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40/0w-30...etc.

Yes A40... Either 5w40 or 0w40 per manual ....

Thx

my 276k T-100 runs me to work every Polar Vortex day 5/30 conventional with 20% Rislone -20F start today

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Castrol 0W-40 has a pour point of -60C. Better than most 0W-20s (and the best cold performance out there for Porsche A40 spec). This is because it has a decent amount of PAO. I think you're safe!

Wow, that is very impressive to my uneducated self. Thanks for the info sir and do we know the NOACK of current EDGE 0w40? Thank You again 1JZ_E46

So that "Brrr cold" will be gone in a few days...
smile.gif

And you want to change that 0W oil already ?

What topic will be next? Its "Uhhh hot"...do I need 20w50?
laugh.gif

Company ordered my CNG Kenworth to idle 12 hrs. last couple nites...electric oil heater not enough.

Will there be differrence in pressure Castrol 0w40 vs RL 0w40

I have some RL0w40 kicking arround

lot of disabled FCA, Subies and Nissans newer models, diesel semis galore here it the serious cold today as I ran loads today 460 miles w.shore L.Michigan.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
You are fine, the Castrol is an excellent choice, I'm currently running it in my Jeep.

This. Any proper oil with the specifications and a viscosity appropriate to the ambients is fine. A non-specified oil, such as the Red Line, may work just fine and may even have better cold cranking numbers, if we're picky enough to check, but probably has higher HTHS in the first place, which may be reflected in higher oil pressure under certain conditions, too. Basically, it won't "fix" the observed behaviour, which really isn't a problem needing a "fix."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back