BRP XPS PDS VOA UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jug says it is summer weight syn blend oil, but has no actual viscosity listed. On BRPs MSDS it says it is a 5W40. I've seen several references that BRP oil is made by Castrol, and if so there are two Castrol 5W40 motorcycle oils and neither are syn blends.

This seems to be a syn blend 5W40, the first I've ever heard of. This is the second Canadian motorcycle oil I've seen that is a syn blend offered in a viscosity usually seen in a synthetic oil. Honda has a 0W30 ATV and snowmobile oil that is a syn blend.

I don't know what their motivation is to offer viscosity grades that are usually syn but are blends. They may have to be mostly syn or they could be at shearing risk if they need lots of VI additives.

They could be very good nearly syn oils that have a low percent of dino and are offered as price point oil vs their synthetic offerings.

Ledslinger: I haven't seen any testing of the BRP oils but have tested two samples of Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil used in
my Can Am RT SE (auto transmission/clutch): one at 4000 and one at 3000 miles on the sample. They had sheared to 20W and 30W respectively, suggesting to me that these trikes with the auto tran are pretty hard on oil. Perhaps this accounts for BRP calling for 3000 mile oil/filter changes. Can't imagine BRP summer blend would perform better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back