Browser Poll: Jan '12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Firefox Nightly 12.0a1.

I think in the time it took you to compose and post your message, they went to version 13 14.
smirk.gif

Your right. Its going to get ridiculous soon. They almost need to do something like AMD does with graphics drivers and number them based on year/month..
Like 12.1r1 which would be first release, January, 2012. Subsequent fixes would increment the revision number only until the next month.

Chrome on everything for now. On Windows I notice Chrome with start to eat memory if you leave it up too long. Haven't had the Linux box up enough to tell. May switch back to Firefox.

Firefox 9.01 with Windows XP.

I like everything about it, except I haven't figured out how to import website name and attached icon onto my desktop. Every time I want to add one (most recently the Detroit News), I need to switch to Internet Explorer to complete the process.

I like/prefer Adblock Plus over No Script.

I must be one of the few still using IE, or at least who will admit to it! IE9 on our two Windows 7 machines and IE8 on our one Windows XP machine. IE8 with Vista at work, only because IE9 is not yet approved.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Your right. Its going to get ridiculous soon.

It's already ridiculous. I read the other day that Mozilla is planning on a long-term suport version of FF so that corporate adopters can install it without worrying too much about end-of-life support for browsers that are becoming obsolete way too quickly.

IE8 is very slow, so keep your IE7. If you use Win Vista or 7, you can upgrade to 9 instead, better than 7.

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
IE8 is very slow, so keep your IE7. If you use Win Vista or 7, you can upgrade to 9 instead, better than 7.

Thats what i heard and thats why for now I'm staying 7.

I use Chrome. I am stuck (web) developing in FF 3.6.7. My work still requires I support IE6!

I like Chrome mostly because each tab is its own process. If one tab crashes you do not bring down the entire browser full of tabs like IE and FF.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Firefox 9.0.x on 4 installations. I never liked the Bookmarks of Chrome.

That's Chrome's biggest turn off for me.

I use just about every major browser but for different purposes.

Firefox is my default that I use the most. I also use it the most when doing my web development because of Firebug.

I use Chrome for anything integrated with Google services... particularly digging through the Google Analytics results from the 4 sites I maintain.

Opera for some of the more poorly coded sites I visit as Opera seems to be able to make sense out of even the worst possible code. As a bonus Opera will save passowrds for sites where form fill/password saving is disabled and you just have to click the little "key" icon to login.

Opera also has Unite available for when I need it. Set up a shared folder on my desktop through Opera and then leave Opera running on that machine so I can access all the files in that shared folder from anywhere using any web browser via a unique web address and password.

IE9 is used on a handful of sites that just won't work properly with anything else.

I like how FF and Opera handle syncing of bookmarks and passwords across multiple machines. Chrome has never synced properly for me.

For Android, Opera Mobil and Mini depending on the kind of content I'm viewing. I tried Dolphin Mini and HD and just don't care for them at all.

I keep them all around primarily though for the purpose of cross browser testing on some of the websites I maintain.

IE8 and Firefox on my XP PC. IE9 on my new laptop, but I'm considering Firefox for that as well.

Safari on my macs, it's been proven that it's the best browser on that platform.
I use Chrome on my windows machines.

Last edited:
Firefox is the browser of choice on my home PC (with XP). I keep IE7 as well for compatibility with work applications - see below.

Work is stuck on IE7 because of certain applications. We are still on XP there as well. Supposed to go to Windows 7 this quarter. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back