Browser Poll: Jan '12

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since we've had one of these. What browser(s) are you using primarily, and why?

For me, it's Opera.
Pros: It's just as fast as chrome, and has a nice looking GUI. It has a built-in IRC Client, (important for me), it has the "speed dial" page, which is essentially the same thing as Chrome's most visited page, uh, page. It's easy to use, and I just like how it works 98% of the time.
Cons: Sometimes it's a little on the slow side loading flash applications, but not by much, and not a deal breaker at all. Slightly more incompatible webpages than chrome, but I've only come across 1 or 2, and they were netflix (used to work with opera), and a job application page.

Secondary browser: Tor

Firefox on LinuxMint, Ubuntu and Windows7. I flirted with Chrome for a while, but it just seems kind of bloated and laggy. And Firefox has gotten better over the last few releases, they are really working on the speed.

Plus Firefox has NoScript, which I think no browser should be without.

Firefox on the laptop, Dolphin HD on the Android phone. The "no squint" feature alone makes FF my browser of choice.

Firefox. It's not quite as slick as Chrome, but it can print items much better than Chrome. Also, my financial websites seem to play better with FF than with Chrome.

Firefox for now on my Linux boxen, MacBook Pro and Android phone primarily for the bookmark, passwords, etc. syncing. As soon as I can get the newest Android on my phone (apparently the Ice Cream Sandwich browser syncs bookmarks w/ Chrome?) I'll probaby jump ship.

Firefox also has this handy-dandy add-on called VideoDownloadHelper that can extrude the (embedded) video files from any and all pages I've ever come across. Chrome, to my knowledge, has nothing like this.

It's also a (very) small bugaboo, but I don't like that Chrome's interface doesn't jive very well with either GTK2/3 or Qt-based desktops in Linux. You can get themes and add-ons to mimic the UI of various desktops but then you're consuming (nominally) more RAM.

And man, oh man, can the one-process-per-tab business of Chrome ever add up when you've got a boatload of tabs open!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised so few people use Opera, it only has 3% of the browser market. It's worth a look however, I like it more than I like any other browser, and I was using chrome exclusively until last month.

Another long time Opera user. For my use, it's a better compatibility as opposed to Chrome.

- Hotmail doesn't work very well and very slow on Chrome.
- Print page sensing is dumb on Chrome. Opera recognize that the page setup as landscape but Chrome always go portrait as default.
- I don't need to go to top left corner to go back a page, I use mouse gesture on Opera.
- Speed dial is much better than most visited page on Chrome. you can always edit the way you want it but not in Chrome.
- According to Toms HW, Opera is the most stable and one of the most compatible with any website. My company support Chrome, but the internal website doesn't work properly with Chrome. Too bad. I hope Chrome will make this issue disappear with extreme rapid release.
- I love the private tab, less storing cookies by web owner/ad posters.
- If you do torrenting, Opera has built in capabilities.

And IE 9 is one of the better ie since IE 6. pretty fast too, but no support for XP which my Company laptop is still using due to legacy software.

I'm on Windows, I use Opera 9, Firefox, Seamonkey, Palemoon, Netscape, Flock (older, based on Gecko), K-meleon.
I hate IE, Chrome and Safari.

Dolphin HD is great on mobile. I do wish they would add a button though. On windows I stay with FF and/or Chrome.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Dolphin HD is great on mobile. I do wish they would add a button though. On windows I stay with FF and/or Chrome.

There's a forward gesture on there already programed in. It's probably quicker than getting to a button!

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Firefox Nightly 12.0a1.

I think in the time it took you to compose and post your message, they went to version 13 14.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back